Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Lactulose dosage

(7 Posts)
stickersarecurrency Thu 16-Dec-10 21:27:25

Is it really just 15ml once a day?

MedusaIsHavingABadHairDay Thu 16-Dec-10 23:29:59

Noooo you can go wayyyy higher!
My DS was on 40ml a day as a small kid for constipation issues!

If you can ask tho.. Movicol is wayyyyyy better and more effective

stickersarecurrency Fri 17-Dec-10 11:25:56

Fab thanks. I'm really, really struggling and in a lot of pain. I'll give it the weekend then have a rethink. Would I need a prescription?

TheChewyToffeeMum Fri 17-Dec-10 11:32:32

You can get it without prescription from any chemist. It is not absorbed by the gut (that is how it works) so you just increase the dose until it works. If you take too much you just get the runs!

TMI alert - if you have not been for ages and there is loads of hard stool there a glycerin suppository (from supermarket or chemist) can help shift the blockage to allow the backlog to ease.

As Medusa says though, Movicol is better and (I think) available from the chemist without prescription.

stickersarecurrency Fri 17-Dec-10 14:12:52

Ah thanks. I'm not constipated, I've got a fissure [wince] and I'm not managing to get much of a handle on it just now. Each time I go to the loo there is actually blood, sweat AND tears. Ugh.

TheChewyToffeeMum Fri 17-Dec-10 14:15:59

In that case lactulose should do the job nicely - just take as much as you need to make going to the loo bearable.

Hope it heals up soon.

stickersarecurrency Fri 17-Dec-10 16:21:46

Thank you so much. I really feel so down about it today and I've had a blazing row with DP and I really just need a cuddle. The thought that it might actually get better is making me weep in itself!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: