Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Can't face googling this right now!

(17 Posts)
welshandproud Wed 15-Dec-10 14:44:56

Does anyone know the long term implications for polycystic ovaries?
I'm not worried about fertility problems, We have 4DC and my family is now complete.
I found out while TTC DC2 that my ovaries had become polycystic. With the help of Clomid I conceived DC2 and then naturally DC3&4 arrived within 2 years.
I'm now 43. My cycle is a little irregular and I'm aware that I don't ovulate every month, but that's nothing new. However my PMT appears to be getting worse?
I guess I'm wondering about the menopause too and what effect my worn out ovaries will have on that.
Any experience you can share much appreciated.

welshandproud Wed 15-Dec-10 17:20:39

Am I the only MNetter with polycystic ovaries?

GiraffeAHolic Wed 15-Dec-10 17:36:31

Hi, I have PCOS. Quite severe, conceived Dd by what the doctors are calling a fluke and have just finished 2nd unsuccessful round of Clomid after 21 months TTC. I suffer with hirutism (excess hair) and various other delightful symptoms.

I am 27 so cannot comment of menopausal effects and the such like but I suppose it depends to what effect you are suffering, my cycles can last well over a hundred days but if I wasn't TTC I would take the pill (progesterone only is better for me) which should help regulate slightly.

If the symptoms get bad they can generally be treated individually.

Honestly PCOS is the bain of my life but if like you say your family is complete you may well find you don't have many problems.

If you decide to google then soulcysters is a good site to visit.

Hope that helps somehow

welshandproud Wed 15-Dec-10 17:43:08

Thanks for your reply Giraffe, I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having. I know I've been very lucky. I'm not entirely sure what the distinction is between PCOS and polycystic ovaries but i have the latter.
I will take a look at that site.

Wishing you luck smile

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 15-Dec-10 17:46:34

Message withdrawn

welshandproud Wed 15-Dec-10 19:25:25

The differences between PCO and PCOS

welshandproud Wed 15-Dec-10 19:30:44

I don't have any of the symptoms of PCOS other than cysts on my ovaries. My hormone levels are completely normal.

A1980 Wed 15-Dec-10 23:45:00

I'm 30 and I have PCOS and a prolactinoma.

If your family is complete, you have no symptoms and your hormone levels are normal tbh I'd try not to worry about what the menopause may or may not bring. Easier said than done i know!

The NHS website is very infomrative re PCOS and PCO.

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 16-Dec-10 03:55:45

I've got one or the other, I am fat, hairy and spotty with more testosterone than DH.
I am currently menopausal, but dont' seem to be having anything out of the ordinary.

welshandproud Thu 16-Dec-10 22:24:14

PCOS does sound terrible. I wonder if PCO can develop into the syndrome?
At the time that i discovered I had PCO my primary concern was fertility. Now long term implications are the issue.

Kewcumber Thu 16-Dec-10 22:41:38

if you have no symptoms then I doubt you have COS just ordinary cysts. I don;t recall there being any out of the ordinary issues with the menopause due to PCOS even if you have it (which tbh sounds unlikely).

PCOS is genetic you can;t develop it if you don;t have it, it is possible for symptoms to deteriorate eg if you put weight on it exacerbates teh condition (which often auses weigh gain anyway so it a downward spiral).

In additions to the usual symptoms of in/sub-fertility, hirsutism,acne. weight gain the longer termimplications tend to focus on heart disease and diabetes as you are significanlty higher risk of both with PCOS (probably linked to insulin resistance)

welshandproud Thu 16-Dec-10 22:49:00

Wow thanks Kew you sound very knowledgable.I think you're right i have lots of cysts all over both ovaries which means that some months more than one follicle produces an egg or none at all. I'm guessing that could mean i 'run' out sooner rather than later. Suppose i'm just a bit apprehensive about the menopause!

Kewcumber Thu 16-Dec-10 23:14:59

20 years of PCOS diagnosed in teh days when even very few gynaes were very well informed about it - so I made myself infomred! Also multiple (unsuccessful) fertility treatments.

If you are concerned about menopasue I shouldn;t worry about PCOS - because I think it unlikely that you have the syndrome anyway and even if you have I haven;t read anything about it being any worse if you have PCOS though certian symptoms cauised by excess androgens can get worse thats just because of a general increase in makehormone post menopausally.

Why are you so worried about it?

welshandproud Thu 16-Dec-10 23:28:43

A nagging guilt as DP had snip this year and i'm worried he might not have needed to! I've only ovulated 3/4 times in 12 months, my pmt is getting nastier, which i'm surprised is possible,and my periods heavier/more irregular/painful.My mum died 16 years ago so i cant ask her when she went through it but seem to remember it was in her 40s.

Thanks for your insights. Sorry to hear about your difficulties.I do remember seeing a wonderful video montage of your beautiful son. You must feel blessed!

Kewcumber Thu 16-Dec-10 23:38:19

Yes I am very lucky, thank you.

Even if you've only ovulated 3/4 times in a year, its pretty impossible to know when you're going to ovulate in advance particularly if you don;t have regular ovulation so unless you're going to spend an arm and a leg of ovulation predictor kits and test every 3 days or use a different method of birth control then vasectomy seems eminantly sensible!

You aren't menopausal at the moment so thereofre you are fertile, it might take another 7-10 years before you are menopausal. Presumably vasectomy was the right choice for you both - it doesn;t seem likely you went into it wihtout a degree of thought (particularly on your DH;s part!)

Kewcumber Thu 16-Dec-10 23:39:07

Have you talked to GP about progesterone to manage PMT? I know it works for some people.

welshandproud Sat 18-Dec-10 22:05:49

Sorry for delay, we're snowed in and I have all the kids at home.

Haven't spoken to the GP at all but i will do. Thanks for the advice. I'm just a bit or a worrier sometimes. As you say nothing to really worry about yet.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: