Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Bone marrow biopsy results time

(9 Posts)
AxisofEvil Wed 15-Dec-10 11:31:03

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes for the results of this to come through once the procedure has been done on the nhs? Many thanks

Highlander Wed 15-Dec-10 14:01:00

depends how it's been classified. Are you talking about the genetic screen?

AxisofEvil Wed 15-Dec-10 18:01:26

Sorry I should have been clearer. A good friend is having it done to test for lymphoma. I want to support her at the right times but she hadn't said when the results would be back.

ItsKurriiiistmas Wed 15-Dec-10 18:45:58

Axis - I'm not sure about a bone marrow biopsy, but I've had a biopsy for breast cancer, and the results took about two weeks to come back, if that's any help to you. Best wishes to your friend.

AxisofEvil Thu 16-Dec-10 16:10:56

Thanks.

stripeybumpsmum Thu 16-Dec-10 16:40:23

Two different tests - the aspirate one takes the liquid bit out of the centre with a syringe, results in a day or so (same day sometimes). More reliable test is the trephine which is like a applecore of the harder section, and takes 2 weeks (chemical reaction to leech out the bone I think).

Long two weeks...

AxisofEvil Sun 19-Dec-10 16:26:30

Sorry for coming back to this so late. The results came back in a few days so must gave been the liquid. Sadly it was positive. sad

snowmash Sun 19-Dec-10 21:34:00

Sorry to hear that, Axis hugs...

Punkatheart Tue 21-Dec-10 00:25:21

Very sorry to hear this...I haven't heard of this test...I had a biopsy which confirmed my form of lymphoma in 2003. It's always a difficult diagnosis but I hope she gets the help she requires. I am currently OK and I am sure that with the right treatment and good consultants....not to mention good friends...she will get through....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: