Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Secondary cancer

(11 Posts)
mummynumnum Tue 14-Dec-10 20:47:02

Mil has been diagnosed with secondary cancer in stomach linked to breast cancer she has received a number of years ago now. What does all this mean? And how bad is it? Is secondary a bad sign? Having pet scan soon and will know more then.

sandripples Tue 14-Dec-10 21:00:37

Just wanted to send you support at this news. I've had treatment for breast cancer this year.

Developing secondaries isn't what you want but each case is individual and I think you'll have to see what the doctors say about your MIL's specific case. Sorry, but it depends on how far it has spread and how much it can be controlled with further treatment. Just try to deal with news as it becomes available and don't assume the worst.

mindermummy Wed 15-Dec-10 08:53:33

i asked this same question a year ago, when my SIL , only 42 got diganosed with secondary cancer from breast cancer.

I will be honest with you...as thats what i wnated to hear, i dont think any secondary cancer is good news.

Sorry to hear your news.
Its a tough time for all the fmaily.x

ItsKurriiiistmas Wed 15-Dec-10 10:19:06

mindermummy - I am also a breast cancer patient. Of course no one wants news of secondary cancer, it cannot be cured, but can be treated, depending on the spread. I have friends with secondaries who are leading reasonably active lives. I'm giving you a link to the Breast Cancer Care site here which has information that might be useful. - On the whole I'd say stay away from google! - but BCC is a sensible informative site, and may be of some use smile - wishing your MIL all the best.

ThingOne Wed 15-Dec-10 11:29:08

I had secondaries from colorectal cancer removed by surgery over two years ago, followed by chemotherapy. I have had no recurrence since. There are no guarantees but it is not necessarily a death sentence. It's been a tough job to get back to normal, though.

nottonightdearihaveaheadache Wed 15-Dec-10 13:40:16

love and health to everyone affected by this x

mummynumnum Wed 15-Dec-10 21:03:12

Thanks for these messages. After she got the all clear a number of years ago, this has been devastating news.

lilyliz Thu 16-Dec-10 17:02:13

secondaries are not good news but if confined to the stomach only there is a good chance it could be treated but if spread else where it may come down to pallitive chemo but you can live a long time with that so dont despair.

purplepeony Thu 16-Dec-10 18:19:06

That's the problem with cancer- even 1 cancerous cell can develop into secondaries years after the original tumour has been removed or zapped.

I had a friend die from secondary breast cancer cancer- it went to her lungs then brain and in the end every organ.

But, everyone is different. Your MIL might be okay if it's confined to an area that can be treated.

IAmReallyFabNow Thu 16-Dec-10 18:21:15

Sorry, but I have bad news to share too. My Grandmother had breast cancer. Had the all clear at 5 years past. Within the next 12 months she got cancer again and it was in her lungs, and all over really. She died 2 months later.

So sorry.sad

paddyclamp Thu 16-Dec-10 20:03:05

My mum lived for 9 years after being diagnosed with secondary bone cancer which spread from breast cancer..and for at least 7 of those she led a good quality of life

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: