Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hospital bloods: what's the turnaround time?

(10 Posts)
keepmumshesnotsodumb Tue 14-Dec-10 14:04:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

keepmumshesnotsodumb Tue 14-Dec-10 14:05:16

girtlush Tue 14-Dec-10 14:08:06

It depends on what the blood is being tested for.

Blood cultures - 5-7 days
Things like u's and e's and FBC - 1 hour

If blood is being tested for more unusual things then sometimes they have to be sent to regional centres to be tested so will take longer.

HTH

girtlush Tue 14-Dec-10 14:10:07

Outpatient bloods may take longer as they are all done in one go, and inpatient bloods would take priority IYSWIM.

keepmumshesnotsodumb Tue 14-Dec-10 14:18:57

girtlush Tue 14-Dec-10 14:38:17

Your very welcome. Hope everything works out ok

keepmumshesnotsodumb Tue 14-Dec-10 14:48:25

A1980 Tue 14-Dec-10 22:05:10

I have regular hospital appointments and when i need bloods taken the consultnat tells me to get them done about 2 weeks before the appointment to make sure they're ready.

So I guess 10 days to 2 weeks for non-urgent bloods.

PixieOnaLeaf Wed 15-Dec-10 14:16:10

Message withdrawn

Scruffyhound Wed 15-Dec-10 16:50:37

Your blood tests that have been taken should be done within the hour (depending on how busy the lab is). Did you go to hospital for them or were they taken by midwife at home? I used to work in haematology and your always told 7 days to be safe for standard tests. Blood cultures will take longer (up to 7 days) as they will be looking for bacteria and they take time to grow and make pure (I have worked in Microbiology as well for 15 yrs). If your worried about any test ring the docs and ask if there back yet. They should have them if there linked to a system. You cant ring the hospital lab or where they were taken(unless midwife) as we were never allowed to give out that information as we were not qualified for it. Good luck. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now