Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Flashing lights but no headache

(20 Posts)
prettypurpledaisy Mon 13-Dec-10 21:14:19

I suffered from flashing zig zag lines in my vision, thought it may be a migraine but no headache came.
It lasted for about half an hour.
Has this happened to anyone else?

Beamur Mon 13-Dec-10 21:16:05

Not happened for a while but I sometimes get something I suspect is a migraine, sounds similar to what happened to you - I get visual disturbance and feel disorientated and tired, but no pain.

RuthChan Mon 13-Dec-10 21:18:47

I too have occassionally had the visual effects of a migraine without actually getting as far as the pain stage.
I sometimes find I can stave off the headache by taking pills during the visuals before the pain starts.

prettypurpledaisy Mon 13-Dec-10 21:22:01

Thanks for replying, it really scared me when it happened and I expected to get a headache but it never came.
This is the first time this has happened to me and it happened during a lesson and so couldnt leave and calm down.
I will visit the Dr just to be sure this isnt the satrt of migraines.
Thanks again for the replies

AnnoyingOrange Mon 13-Dec-10 21:22:31

Sounds like migraine to me. It is fairly common to get the aura (flashing lights) without the headache.

werewolf Mon 13-Dec-10 21:25:07

I'm with orange. Sometimes I get the aura without the headache.

StayFrosty Mon 13-Dec-10 21:28:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnnoyingOrange Mon 13-Dec-10 21:28:51

I used to just get the lights for years, but now I usually get a headache (not too severe) too sad

werewolf Mon 13-Dec-10 21:50:23

That's interesting orange. I used to get just the headache and vomiting for years, now I get the lights as well. Although not always. confused

AnnoyingOrange Mon 13-Dec-10 21:52:41

oooh I've never had the vomiting - a treat in store I guess smile

rabbitstew Tue 14-Dec-10 11:17:38

I've only ever had the flashing lights in the outer reaches of my vision, widening blind spots and strange translucent shapes - never the headache, at the very most a tight feeling in my head afterwards. I feel odd and distant from everything, but can carry on pretending everything is normal (albeit it is hard to type or read when half the letters in every word are missing, unless you tip your head about at funny angles - and very dangerous to drive!!!). If it only lasts 30 minutes, it is most likely a migraine aura, and may leave you feeling washed out for a while afterwards. If it lasts any longer, and certainly if it is the first time it's happened to you, you should check with your GP, as transient ischaemic attacks can have some overlapping symptoms but are, obviously, more serious as they can herald a stroke...

I haven't actually had one of these for quite a while, now - tend to get one or two every few years, so very few and far between (unless pregnant or on the pill, which is why I never take the combined contraceptive pill any more!!!!).

systemsaddict Tue 14-Dec-10 11:25:17

Yes, I get exhaustion, then flashing lights, blind spot, then sensitivity to light and noise, and then get quite hyper, but no headache. GP said focal migraine. It's hormonal with me, happened more around pregnancy / breastfeeding / stopping breastfeeding, and when on combined pill (was taken off that because of increased risks associated with focal migraine). Terrified me the first time, thought I was going blind! quite interesting now though.

missmartha Tue 14-Dec-10 11:31:37

My DH gets this.

Mind you, he did get i checked out properly although they were fairly certain from the outset that it was 'silent migraine'.

Lasts about 30 mins, no pain at all, but he sometimes feels a bit out of it for a few hours after.

DeckTheIceWithDragonsAndHolly Tue 14-Dec-10 11:32:42

for me this would be a migraine. A visual disterbance migraine. No headache. just feeling washed out.

I do get this with full blown migraines too but that is by the by. I get very severe migraines.

I would get checked out (fairly urgently) as this is can be caused by other things, and sometimes there are eye issues that can cause this sort of affect.

Main triggers: exhaustion/lack of sleep, food triggers, stress, flashing lights.

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 14-Dec-10 11:37:23

I had a couple of these last year - I did go to the GP and she said it was probably migraine. I was pretty exhausted at the time as had 2 children under 3yrs. I have had migraine in the past, with the full headache and sickness, so almost relieved to just get the aura. Did make me feel quite spaced out when it was happening tho...

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 14-Dec-10 11:38:14

Oh, and GP also recommended a trip to the optician to rule out any eye problems.

sincitylover Tue 14-Dec-10 12:12:32

I had an ocular migraine about two years ago.

Ended up at Moorfields and that's what they said it was.

OhYouSnowySnowyKitten Tue 14-Dec-10 12:14:56

One eye or both?

santasbluebaubles Tue 14-Dec-10 12:53:16

Go and get your blood pressure checked too. My blod pressure went sky high when I was pg and the main symptom was lights dancing in my vision.

dragonfly42 Fri 17-Dec-10 11:16:14

I get this with migraine, well usually I see black and white zig zags in my vision before the migraine starts and sometimes it just affects my vision and I dont get a migraine after. my GP told me it was a migraine with an aura which is quite common and nothing to worry about. First time it happened to me I was only about 13 and I thought I had a brain tumour or something serious!! I would go c your GP if it happens often as they can give you advice on how to manage the migraine. Hope that helps!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: