Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Anaemia related hair loss

(5 Posts)
mrsrhodgilbert Mon 13-Dec-10 18:31:22

I noticed in early summer that my hair was beginning to look very thin, particularly on top. I eventually got myself to the doctor a month ago and she arranged blood tests. It turns out I am anaemic and am taking iron tablets now. I have had a retest and my iron levels are improving so the tablets go on. I am scared that my hair still seems to be thinning.

The doctor said it would take 3 to 6 months for my hair to regrow. Has anyone else experienced this and had a positive outcome?
I am 46 and a bit of me worries that actually this may be caused by something else too. I seem to have no short hairs at all and when the longer ones come out there will be no new ones coming through. Any words of wisdom welcome. Thank you.

DevonDumplin Tue 14-Dec-10 12:17:07

Hi MrsRhodGilbert,

I also have hairloss from quite severe and persistent iron deficiency amaemia.

During a brief period of a good iron count it did start to regrow but it seems to take an awful long time, sorry, IME you just need to sit back in the knowledge that your count is getting better and your band new shiney hair is simply lagging a bit behind but will soon be following.

Just check too that your doctor has tested for other things eg, thyroid etc and that you're not on any other medicines that can cause hair thinning (there are more than you'd imagine that do this).

Please try not worry

<Dumplin goes back to pulling mighty hair hedgehogs out the shower plug> blush

Silkstalkings Wed 15-Dec-10 10:24:23

Ask you gp to refer you to a trichologist.

mrsrhodgilbert Wed 15-Dec-10 13:46:11

Thankyou DevonDumplin for your reply.Thyroid problems have been excluded and I do not take any other medication luckily. The cause of the problem seems to be boring old heavy periods for which the mirena has been suggested. Thats a whole other matter but I hate the effects of the iron tablets so something must be done.

The doctor did say that if this doesn't work she will refer me to a dermatologist, but you have to go through the motions of trying the basics first and there obviously is an iron deficiency.

I am being realistic and not expecting to see much improvement until mid 2011, but I wanted to hear some words of encouragement so for that thank you again.

RumourOfAHurricane Wed 15-Dec-10 16:17:22

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: