Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Can Anybody Shed Any LIght On This?

(12 Posts)
kuckingfunt Tue 07-Dec-10 14:52:12

I have been ill for a while now and it seems to be getting worse. I started off with a chest infection and then got unbearable dizziness. After lots of trips to the doctors they diagnosed labrynthitis. I can hardly function at the moment with the dizzy spells.

At the same time I had an awful pain on my right side that started at the bottom of my hip and moved up towards my ribs. GP sent me for an ultra sound as they thought it may be gallstones. Ultrasound didn't show up anything.

Now, weeks later, and this pain has moved it is usually just under my ribs, and can be either side. To touch my ribs feel bruised and sore. I also get pain right at the top of my stomach, around my breastbone. The pain seems to come after I have eaten but not all the time. My stomach is also really bloated a lot of the time, making me look around 6 months pregnant.

I am going back to the doctor again at the end of the week as I cannot cope with this pain all the time. I feel fobbed off with it though and want to go in feeling strong and ready to not just accept them trying to get me out of the door as quickly as possible. The last time I went I just accepted it and ended up walking home in tears as I hadn't got anywhere near resolving this again.

I do feel a little bit more gassy (belching but not excessively) and I know it isnt trapped wind. I wonder though if this stomach pain is related to my dizzy spells.

I feel generally unwell and seem to be dizzy/tired when I do the slightest thing. Can anyone think what this could be?

deepfriedcupcake Tue 07-Dec-10 20:02:08

I'm afraid I can't suggest what it might be but I do hope you have better luck with the doctor this time.

Would it help if you wrote down symptoms each day and how / if they change? Then maybe if it eases / changes by the end of the week you'll be able to remind yourself and tell the doctor exactly what's happening.

kuckingfunt Tue 07-Dec-10 20:06:53

Thanks deepfriedcupcake, yes I am going to take a list of all the symptoms in with me when I go.

I am so scared that it is something with my stomach making me dizzy, and that in itself scares me. I keep thinking 'what if there is something in there that is going to burst/rupture'. So worrying.

lilyliz Tue 07-Dec-10 20:15:54

could be two different things at the same time getting things confused,the dizziness could be making you feel saesick and you could have gallstones,doc should be able to tell you more but you will have to explain it all to him.

kuckingfunt Wed 08-Dec-10 12:56:45

Well I drove to work today, almost doubled over in pain at the top of my ribs/breastbone. I hadn't eaten (have breakfast at work) so I know food doesn't trigger it.

I have had to come home, the pain was making it impossible to stay at work, plus it didn't look too glam bent over in my chair clutching just under my boob blush The pain has eased a bit now.

Am I the only unfortunate person to have ever had this?

Catchthewind Wed 08-Dec-10 13:01:34

The pain could be referred. Especially if they only scanned your gallbladder area.

The swelling would worry me, you need further investigation - bloods for a start, what are they thinking sending you home in this state.

Please don't be fobbed off. Good luck.

Catchthewind Wed 08-Dec-10 13:02:29

Crossed posts, if it is so bad you had to come home, I'd go to A&E.

Is that feasible today?

I'm really concerned about you.

WhatsWrongWithYou Wed 08-Dec-10 13:07:46

I'd agree with A&E - your gp isn't taking it seriously and you're worried sick, I'd just find the best way to get answers.

The pain sounds similar to my gall bladder pain; fwiw, my attacks aren't necessarily food-triggered, although I've never had one first thing in the morning. Stress seems more relevant in my case.

Catchthewind Wed 08-Dec-10 13:09:21

Fwiw I know someone who had an ultrasound on her gallbladder and nothing showed up - they took it out as the symptoms got worse, so ultrasound isn't always reliable.

FullaDoll Wed 08-Dec-10 13:15:14

Could it be your liver? Alternatively, Reflux Disease (GERD)?

kuckingfunt Wed 08-Dec-10 14:06:52

I can't got to A&E today, I am back at the doctors on Friday so will see what happens. I also feel a bit of a fraud going there, the pain comes and goes.

I wondered about an ulcer, but I don't have any reflux, acid etc so maybe not.

Today I have started having some pains in my chest - nothing too worrying but the sort you would get if you had a bad chest infection.

Anothing worrying me - if I do end up in hospital is it possible for my gp to refer me to a hospital that is way out of my area? I would want to go home. My doctors is 200 miles away from home (I work and live in the week away from where I live at the weekend).

So do you think it may be gallbaldder still? What are your symptoms with this problem?

WhatsWrongWithYou Wed 08-Dec-10 21:34:02

Mine usually starts with a strange, out-of-control stressed feeling, and a tightening between the breastbones. It develops into a persistent strong pain, I'd say worse than labour because there's no let-up, and you can't ease it by changing position.

Usually lasts around four hours, and leaves me completely drained and exhausted, although from reading threads on MN I know mine are much less severe than some people's.

I haven't had one for over a year (touch wood); in fact, they usually come around Christmas time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: