Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dull nagging pain on my right side just under my ribs...

(21 Posts)
bubbleymummy Mon 06-Dec-10 18:38:47

I've had it on and off for about a year but it isn't going away at the moment and I'm getting a bit worried. I saw the doctor about it last week (I saw one when it started last year but she 'couldn't find anything') and he reluctantly referred me for a scan for my gallbladder and offered me a prescription for some zantac (or whtever it's called now!) in case it is a gastric or duodenal ulcer. The scan appointment is going to be 3 months!!! I'm worried that if this is something serious then leaving it for that long is a bit risky. Does anyone else have any experience of this type of thing? It isn't an excruciating pain - just a dull ache that I'm very aware of - it's very tender if I press on the right spot but it's quite difficult to find that exact spot because it's quite far in iykwim. Any thoughts/advice/reassurance?!

bubbleymummy Mon 06-Dec-10 19:07:47

anyone? please...

onessa Mon 06-Dec-10 19:38:22

Hi Bubblymummy,I have had a pain under my ribs, to right side, on & off , for many months. It was usually accompanied by a feeling of heaviness and then vomitting.Last weekend,I vomitted, then the pain under the ribs was awful, I relented and went to the GP who diagosed cholecystitis--infection of
gall bladder--with probable gall stones.
I have had a week of antibiotics and feel much better now. When the pain was at its worst I just wanted to die!!
GP did blood/urine tests which showed bile in both.
He has referred me for an ultrasound scan-dont know how long it takes here--3 months sounds far too long to wait--and GP said it will need removal of gallbladder at some point-either on routine waiing list or as an emergency if needed.
I am feeling much better now the antibiotics have worked.
I do feel sorry for you, not knowing what it is adds to the worry. Why not go back to GP and ask for furthur blood tests etc.Good luck and let us know how you get on!

bubbleymummy Mon 06-Dec-10 19:59:24

Thank you for replying onessa. Glad you're starting to feel better - your pain sounds much worse than mine tbh. I don't really have any nausea and no vomitting at all. I feel a bit guilty for complaining now!

I didn't realise blood/urine tests would be able to show gallbladder issues. I'll phone back tomorrow morning and try to get another appointment for blood/urine. I have an appointment with an acupuncturist on friday - she is also a GP! So I can chat to her about it then too.

flyby10 Tue 07-Dec-10 11:38:41

Hi,

I have had exact same thing! Haven't been to doctors though as been totally freaked out it will be something bad...stupid logic I know!
No other symptoms really.Slightly looser bowels(TMI), bit winder and sometimes sore shoulder....which leads me to think gallbladder. But no attacks..no time off work..still going to gym. Just kind of full up tender feeling on right side.

Mine also been on off for over a year. Can go few weeks fine..then it comes back for few weeks.When it's there it is almost constant. better when moving around, hardly noticeable.Goes through to my back as well. Dull ache.

Definietly not ill. Do get bit dizzy sometimes but only when bent over...been like this since DD born, 4 yrs ago.

Same as you feel silly moaning about it, but it's definietly tender and not in imagination.

Will be interested in your outcome.

bubbleymummy Tue 07-Dec-10 19:44:59

Well I went back to the doctor today - saw a different one and she seemed to take it a bit more seriously thank goodness! I was getting really worried because I was getting another pain around the middle of my abdomen as well as under my ribs and I was feeling nauseous since last night. She's pretty sure it's my gallbladder but she's referred me for an endoscopy and has included a test for h pylori in the bloods just in case it's an ulcer. I should get the results next week so I'll keep you posted!

Flyby, I know what you mean about being too worried to get it checked out! It's admitting that there's something actually wrong rather than just hoping it will go away! I would get an appointment just to check it out. Gallbladder problems can me managed with diet if they're caught early so better to do something now when the symptoms are mild rather than wait until it's worse and increase the chances of having to have an op!

Thanks for your replies! Keep me posted on what happens with you both!

BeenBeta Tue 07-Dec-10 19:55:08

bubble- gall bladderproblems suchas youdescribe will not go away. They will get worse and worse.

You need an ultrasound on your gall bladder to see if there are stones. Yes you do need blood tets too but getting the scan is crucial.

You can manage the symptoms with diet until the operation to remove the gall bladder but I struggled on for a year with your symptoms and worse. Dont delay. It won't get better.

bubbleymummy Tue 07-Dec-10 20:13:46

I haven't delayed I've been referred for an ultrasound. My comments about managing with diet were directed at flyby after my recommendation that she see a doctor before it gets worse. Gallstones don't necessarily mean that you have to have your gallbladder removed so it's best to catch them early and start trying to manage them or treat them before they start causing problems.

bubbleymummy Tue 07-Dec-10 20:15:49

Thank you for your concern though! I'm glad you got yours sorted. How long did it take for you to get your ultrasound?

BeenBeta Tue 07-Dec-10 20:29:56

I sort of struggled on feeling unwell for about a year before the ultrasound. My Mum struggled for 2 years putting it off.

Both of us in a lot of pain and both ending up having the op anyway.

bubbleymummy Tue 07-Dec-10 21:26:23

Did it take long for you to get your ultrasound once you were referred? My pain isn't awful. Just uncomfortable and more constant than it has been for the last 18 months. I first noticed it after I had ds2. It used to just flare up when I ate a lot of chocolate and then go away after a few hours. It has stayed this time. Although I have been binging a bit the last couple of weeks! It's an awful time of year to have to watch what I eat!

BeenBeta Tue 07-Dec-10 21:41:09

Not too long once I finally got referred. A few months I think.

It was getting referred that was the problem. Some GPs just dont seem to take it that seriously and suggest painkillers, changing your diet etc.

I had been rumbling along like you and then I ate a really cheesy lasagne and a few glasses of red wine and two days of vomiting and agonising pancreatic pain later I went to a GP who gave me painkillers. It was 15 months after that I FINALLY had it out.

My friends said I aged 10 years over that 15 month period and looked green. Most of it I was in pain and felt very weak.

bubbleymummy Tue 07-Dec-10 22:07:55

That sounds awful BD I'm glad I'm getting mine seen to at this stage before it gets that serious.

flyby10 Wed 08-Dec-10 09:47:21

Bubbleymummy,
Out of curiousty, is yours worse at any particular time?
Mine is worse in the morning, then it kind of fades off and gets bit uncomfy when I'm stressed...I presume thats like anything...stress and worrying about it make it seem worse than it is.
Because I have actually suspected gallbladder for a while I read so many threads on it I have made sure I don't go mad on rich foods etc. I'm pretty healthy to be fair, not skinny but not fat and pretty fit, I wonder if this keeps it from becoming a problem. But I'm certainly not having the attacks described in the threads, although some people's symptoms have varied.
But then when I'm having a funny five minutes I keep expecting to keel over leaving kids with no mummy!
I did have slightly raised LFT's after DD but went down. Then again about 3 yrs ago. But they went down to nearly normal again...no symptoms at all then.This ache came about 6mths after the tests.
Perhaps I had better brave it and see as well!

bubbleymummy Wed 08-Dec-10 11:04:04

Usually after I overindulge on chocolate or other goodies unfortunately. I've also just read that eggs and dairy products are big culprits and while i don't usually don't eat them that often I've been gorging a bit over the last week or so That's probably what triggered this one I reckon. It's still there today but i have no nausea so I'm hoping the change in diet is going to keep it at ease until i get my scan.

Let me know if you get your appt with the gp - we could get a little gallbladder support group going on here!

shinybootsofleather Thu 09-Dec-10 15:50:07

I had the exact same thing with nausea and pain in my right shoulder blade as well as under my right rib. Had a suspected gallbladder attack in June and thought I was having a heart attack due to severe pain whilst breathing in. Was scanned for gallstones and nothing was found. Have recently been diagnosed with H. Pylori and had a week-long treatment of a PPI and two antibiotics. Feeling a liitle better now, but have been referred to hospital who have suggested IBS can cause these pains as well. I have an endoscopy and colonoscopy booked for Jan. Definitely mention H. Pylori to the GP to see if they can rule that out.

smee Thu 09-Dec-10 16:24:40

Could it be IBS - do you have any other symptoms?? I think I have low level IBS and have a similar pain. Mine comes and goes, so GP said probably not Gall Bladder. He thought IBS a possible cause. Mine's worse when I'm run down.

mammynan68 Sun 26-Jul-15 09:15:10

Hi I've had the same dull ache on my right side for about a year had blood tests but they show nothing .I've had my gall bladder and gall stones removed .as you say it's not a really bad pain .but it stops me walking to far and it's there all the time I'm still back and forth the doctors will keep you posted

Emmalou13 Thu 22-Oct-15 00:22:51

Hello I have got constant dull ache in sides and sometimes in chest and feel tired all the time total lack of energy anyone got any advice I have been for an ultrasound on Monday just waiting to hear

jlau Mon 04-Jan-16 15:53:51

Whatever happen to bubblemummys results

jlau Mon 04-Jan-16 15:54:55

I mean bubbleymummy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now