Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Do you think going in and out of the freezing cold can delay a nasty cold from clearing up?

(7 Posts)
geraldinetheluckygoat Sun 05-Dec-10 18:05:22

I know you can't catch cold from being cold. But, I had a cold about three weeks ago. It was quite a nasty one, and just hasn't cleared up yet. I can't figure out why. I have a cough and catargh (sp sorry) but chest isn't rattly and I dont think I have a chest infection or anything. I feel under the weather and achey and tired, and have a sore throat.

the only thing I can think of is that it could be down to the cold weather and going in and out from hot to cold, I spend about two and a half to three hours walking on the school run every day. Also have been working a lot lately as I have been very busy with christmas sales and cake orders.

So sick of feeling ill now though. Why isnt it clearing up? I dont feel ill enough to go to the doctors, what can I do myself to help get rid if it??

GiraffeYoga Sun 05-Dec-10 18:14:36

No. Sounds like a virus. Get some rest. The temperature outside is irrelevant except if you already feel shit,being cold won't help.

Get wellsoon

geraldinetheluckygoat Sun 05-Dec-10 19:32:55

Ah thanks Giraffe. Its so annoying, as I have a busy month this month and actually I could do with just lighting the fire and lounging about in front of it!! I will try to get to bed earlier and eat well, hopefully that will see it off smile

GiraffeYoga Mon 06-Dec-10 20:41:34

:-) great name by the way!

Abr1de Mon 06-Dec-10 20:43:27

I read one of the newspaper doctors saying that if your body is fighting the cold there is less energy for the immune system.

Abr1de Mon 06-Dec-10 20:46:15

Frankly, two or three hours out in this cold is probably too much anyway. A friend from a cold part of the US told me the key was not too go outside when it was really cold for long periods. Could you beg a lift with a friend with a car?

geraldinetheluckygoat Tue 07-Dec-10 22:00:34

Thanks Giraffe grin
I have a car Abr1de, but I just prefer usually to walk, since it takes sometimes as long sitting in traffic and uses up so much petrol. Plus its the only excercise I get and its usually a nice walk along the river. But it has been hardcore when it's been so cold, so I have done one or two of the trips inthe car when it's been freezing!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: