Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Methotrexate, mobic, prednisolone, biologics - experiences

(8 Posts)
shitmagnet Sun 05-Dec-10 11:49:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shitmagnet Sun 05-Dec-10 20:50:13

Pandsbear Mon 06-Dec-10 11:49:18

Hi, very sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with RA and there will be a lot for you to take in. The drugs do work but you just have to get the right combination - and that is the thing that takes time. This is going to be a long message sorry!

I have had RA for 12 years and have been through various combinations mainly involving methotrexate. I have been on Humira for 3 years now which is a biologic and controls my (previously aggressive) RA very well. I still take mtx weekly. Your rheumy is trying to stop irreversible damage to your joints and in an ideal world everyone diagnosed with RA should be put on the most effective treatment asap. I imagine that is all he/she is doing.

Not sure what the protocol is where you live but I had to 'fail' (ie my RA wasn't suppressed by the medication) two previous drug regimes to be put on the biologics. They are very effective for most people (not all) whose RA is not helped by the other drugs. However is expensive and so the Drs can't put everyone on them instantly.

I am sure your rheumy will have plenty of time to talk through your own situation with you and make sure you ask all the questions you need to make up your own mind.

Happy to answer any more questions if I can.

shitmagnet Mon 06-Dec-10 13:14:45

shitmagnet Mon 06-Dec-10 13:16:58

shitmagnet Mon 06-Dec-10 13:20:00

WafflingOn Mon 06-Dec-10 15:15:22

I have had RA for 15 years. I am on Infliximab and methotrexate as well as NSAIDs and painkillers. I had 2 other biologics too Enbrel and Humira.
I well remember how terrified I was at the thought of biologic drugs but am so so glad now that I was encouraged to go for this. I feel like I have my life back now and am able to cope so much better with daily life.
If I cab answer any questions I'd be happy too - either here or through private messages.
I find this website quite useful Arthritis Care

shitmagnet Mon 06-Dec-10 20:03:12

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now