Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Big blood clot, why?

(3 Posts)
llareggub Fri 03-Dec-10 12:41:49

I have my period and have been prescribed tranexamic acid for heavy periods. For the first time ever, I have just passed something that looks scarily big. It is long, with a flat piece at both ends, almost like a super size tadpole. I've never seen anything like it.

Should I make an appointment with the GP or is this normal? I've had clots before but nothing like this.

I'm in my mid 30s, have 2 children and my periods have been back for a year or so after giving birth. I'm still breastfeeding, but all appears to be regular.

TigerFeet Fri 03-Dec-10 12:45:07

I had a similar size and shape clot post dd2's birth.

Have you been sitting down a lot (bfing?)

My MW said that if you're bleeding heavily and you're sitting down for a while, the blood can accumulate and clot in your vagina leaving a long clot with a bit at each end (cervix and entrance to your vagina) which is then passed when you stand up. Nothing to worry about.

It's always worth double checking though, could you speak to a HCP on the phone perhaps?

llareggub Fri 03-Dec-10 12:49:39

Hmm, interesting. DS2 has been ill so I've been sitting down a lot with him. He's 20 months though, so a long time since birth.

I guess the colour looked odd too. More pinky purple rather than dark red.

Maybe I should have name-changed! Thank you, I may call the practice nurse. She's ace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now