Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Snowed In, Can't Collect Prescription Would a Local Pharmacy Help?

(8 Posts)
Evenstar Fri 03-Dec-10 07:18:00

I moved house 3 weeks ago and haven't yet registered at new GP's surgery, my old surgery which is around 6 miles away have obliged by sending my prescription to the pharmacy there. The trouble is that I really will have difficulty getting the car out, due to snow and very severe ice this morning. My son's school there is closed, so this would be the only reason to move the car at all today. If I walked to the nearest branch of the pharmacy in the town here, would they be able to do anything to help me. I am on thyroxine for an underactive thyroid and have already been without it for 2 days and as I take quite a high dose know that I will start feeling unwell soon> Any advice would be welcome. Thank you.

trumpton Fri 03-Dec-10 07:30:36

It's certainly worth ringing the local pharmacy and seeing if original pharmacy can fax script over with the paper one to follow in snail post. They should be helpful as Thyroxine isn't a drug that is misused. Or ring Dr and ask advice. I have certainly had an emergency few from pharmacy before now. DON'T CARRY ON WITHOUT it takes ages to rebalance. Get on the phone as soon as Dr opens.

FreudianFoxSquishedByAPouffe Fri 03-Dec-10 07:30:37

Hmm tricky one. Can you phone the old GP to ask them?

I'm not sure what DH (pharmacy manager) would be allowed to do in that situation, legally I mean. I know he'd do everything he could though. Last year he delivered loads of prescriptions to his elderly customers when they were stuck in due to snow.

Evenstar Fri 03-Dec-10 08:22:48

Thanks for the advice ladies, I will phone the local branch of the pharmacy when they open and take it from there.

RunnerHasbeen Fri 03-Dec-10 10:00:37

You can also call NHS24/direct and they will fax a script to your nearest pharmacy - I have done this a number of times at weekends or public holidays.

Evenstar Fri 03-Dec-10 10:03:34

Thank you that is worth knowing if I get stuck again,but the lovely lady at the local pharmacy got the prescription faxed through and has phoned to say it is ready for me to collect. Now I just need to get my snowy westher gear on and get myself down there.

shodatin Sat 04-Dec-10 13:15:26

All our local pharmacies (mainly Lloyds) do free deliveries, so worth asking.

shodatin Sat 04-Dec-10 13:16:50

Sorry, I'm out-of-date, Lloyds been taken over by Boots, but deliveries still on

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: