Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Snowed in, got a migraine, paracetomol doesn't get rid, close to tears. What can I do please?

(37 Posts)
ItalianLady Thu 02-Dec-10 16:54:04

I have only recently been diagnosed so no idea what the triggers are yet.

onepieceoflollipop Thu 02-Dec-10 16:57:20

Oh you poor poor thing. Do you have any other painkillers (may not help, but worth a try) You can take Ibuprofen or aspirin alongside the paracetamol. Worth trying a neighbour if you can get that far but can't get to shops? If you don't have the adult variety check if you have any for the dcs and take a bigger dose (but make sure it isn't an od!)

Sometimes I find that once in the "grip" of a migraine then nothing will help, it just has to pass and I sleep as much as possible. Some people find a warm (or cool) flannel on the forehead helps marginally, but it won't cure it obviously.

Personally I don't eat but sometimes a sugary drink helps a tiny bit (proper cola to wash tablets down, or a sugary warm squash?) If you don't have anything like that again maybe a neighbour?

Do you have young dcs to look after? If so can anyone help with them? Hope it passes soon, really feel for you.

onepieceoflollipop Thu 02-Dec-10 16:58:24

Go to bed as soon as you can, i.e. proper bed like getting into pjs, even if it is the moment the children go to bed.

reading and tv/internet make mine worse also. sad

CharCharGabor Thu 02-Dec-10 16:58:41

Are you able to have a little lie down? Even if you have young children you could stick the tv on and rest your eyes for a little while. Sympathies, migraines are truly awful! Hope it eases quickly

Tomatefarcie Thu 02-Dec-10 16:59:01

I know it's going to sound completely mad, and as remote as what you must feel like at the moment, but if you can, well...er....you know, go and erm.....pleasure yourself. blush

I can't explain nor even remember the medical reasons behind it but it works.

And again: blush

fuzzywuzzy Thu 02-Dec-10 17:00:00

I find painkillers only work when I take them right at the very beginning of a migraine, otherwise the only thing that works is sleeping it off.

Drink fluids and keep your head warm, the cold is setting off my migraines recently, it was horrendous I woke with a migraine for a week last week, till I realised what was happening.

I utterly sympathise.

Tomatefarcie Thu 02-Dec-10 17:00:16

Obviously not an option if you have children near you...blush

ItalianLady Thu 02-Dec-10 17:01:06

I am never sure what I can take as I have asthma and often the pharmacist won't sell me some things. We have a fairly well stocked first aid box so I could look. DH is here and I have come upstairs to get some peace. I feel pretty fed up tbh. We are completely snowed in, my food delivery has been cancelled and I am running out of food for me and the kids are desperate to go sledging but it is too deep and the nearest place is the top of a hill so too dangerous. I wonder if it is a stress migraine as I am also waiting on some news and that is never fun, is it?

I have to take 4 tablets a day as it is so I am nervous of adding to them iyswim in case they cause a bad reaction.

ItalianLady Thu 02-Dec-10 17:02:11

Golly, lots of x-posting, Will go and read now as i was only answering onepieceoflollipop's post.

ItalianLady Thu 02-Dec-10 17:03:35

grin at tomatefarcie's solution. I can't be bothered tbh.

onepieceoflollipop Thu 02-Dec-10 17:03:48

I am not sure re ibuprofen or aspirin if you have asthma. NHS Direct may be able to advise (or your GP surgery if you can get through on the phone?)

It may be a stress migraine as you say. Look after yourself as best you can, try and stay quiet and warm.

ItalianLady Thu 02-Dec-10 17:05:11

I will have a look on the nhs direct website, thanks for that. I can't ring as our phone is broken.

RedFraggle Thu 02-Dec-10 17:06:08

Stand in shower with jets targeted on the back of your neck if you can bear it.. Relaxing the neck muscles can really help.. Otherwise - bed and sleep is the only thing I can think of that might help.. Poor you..

ItalianLady Thu 02-Dec-10 17:06:46

nhs direct website not working on my laptop atm.

FunkySnowSkeleton Thu 02-Dec-10 17:09:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheUnmentioned Thu 02-Dec-10 17:09:47

they say not to take ibuprofen or aspirin, i have mild asthma and neither cause me to react, call a pharmacist for advice.

looking at a computer is the very last thing you should be doing

Libra Thu 02-Dec-10 17:10:20

I know this sounds counter-intuitive since it is supposed to be a trigger, but I have found a very strong cup of espresso coffee has worked occasionally for me when I have no painkillers in the house.

Possibly because I don't really drink coffee usually and so my system is not used to it.

TheUnmentioned Thu 02-Dec-10 17:10:22

oops sorry just saw phone broken

FunkySnowSkeleton Thu 02-Dec-10 17:11:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

soccerwidow Thu 02-Dec-10 17:16:57

my cures - water and sleep, and funnily enough if I have nausea with a migraine, the minute I am sick the headache goes!

my triggers - not drinking enough water, eating too much sugar, not eating regularily enough/skipping meals

Zoonose Thu 02-Dec-10 17:17:31

I have suffered from migraines for years as has my dad, both of us find very strong coffee helps, and even halts migraine if got early enough. I do need it when the headache begins. May be worth a try. I never had triggers as such, they were hormonal (always got them at oestrogen drop in pill free week when on pill, and had them 10 weeks of each of my 2 pregnancies). Caffeine I believe though am not medical/pharmaceutical, dilates blood vessels, I believe migraine constricts them. Good luck. Migraines are just awful.

PenelopePitstops Thu 02-Dec-10 17:25:39

soccerwidow - same thing with the nausea here, i lie there willing myself to be sick, do you have to sleep after you are sick?

A can of full fat coke sometimes helps me depending on the type of migraine but usually sleep is the only full cure

minipie Thu 02-Dec-10 17:40:26

What helps me is a really hot bath and completely submerge my head in it (except nose so I can breathe)

and lying down in bed with lots of blankets and dark room.

staring at the computer will not help...

ItalianLady Thu 02-Dec-10 20:12:24

I had a lie down and dozed a bit which helped until the kids came looking for me.

I haven't eaten anything with sugar in for nearly a month and drink a lot of a water.

I am sure it is just from being stuck in all day and the kids being very very loud.

soccerwidow Thu 02-Dec-10 22:02:01

Penelope - yes I do,and I am often physically drained still the next day. (like I have a serious hangover)

My migraines were terrible when I was pregnant with DS2, I was also very aneamic - I was later told that Migraines can be symptom of aneamia so get yourself tested for that, as you say they are something new.

Also have you recently had a coil fitted? I ask because I had a copper coil after DS2 and had almighty periods (sorry if TMI) very heavy & long & serious PMT - all things I had never suffered with before. I also had migraines for the week before, during & after my period. Pure hell especially if you add in having two children under two to deal with as well.

The GP said it was all Hormonal from recently having a baby & my body "settling" and wouldn't have it that it was coil related but after 3 months I had had enough and had it out. The migraines and everything else stopped that day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now