Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Low GI diet anyone?

(4 Posts)
VFemme Thu 02-Dec-10 11:40:41

Dh has been put on a low GI diet as of NOW (to lower his cholesterol).

He's been given a sample list of foods and their GI index but it's confusing the hell out of the pair of us.

So we've established:

High GI = bad
Low GI = good

Watermelon is high, but apples are low.
Cornflakes are high, but All-Bran is low.

It's just not intuitive enough for me... we had steak and salad for dinner - was that high or low GI? The salad had feta cheese in it - did that ruin it?

confused

is anyone else out there on a low GI diet? How difficult is it?

artifarti Thu 02-Dec-10 12:04:26

I did it as a diet a few years ago and lost quite a bit of weight and was very healthy. It isn't intuitive in many cases but you get to know most things after a while and I found a lot of it became second nature. The book by Rick Gallop is very good in terms of lists of whether things are high, medium or low. I seem to remember that meals sort of even themselves out (grin) so just because you eat one High GI thing doesn't ruin the whole meal!

I still try and eat like that now but I'm a greedy pig!

VFemme Fri 03-Dec-10 01:59:44

Thanks artifarti.

We're determined to give it a go, so I'll look up the Rick Gallop book.

Ta!

Furball Fri 03-Dec-10 06:59:12

you might find this list useful

this site has a gi calculator on the left for you to look up any food.

you may also find this board interesting

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: