Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

sickness bug back after a day or so?Is this normal?

(7 Posts)
MrsThisIsTheCadillacOfNailguns Thu 02-Dec-10 08:13:32

Poor dd2 was sick 7 times on Tuesday night,last time was at 1.30am.She was fine after that,but obviously off school and hardly eating anything.Dh gave her a bowl of plain pasta last night and she was fine all night,but was sick again at 7.30 this morning.Is it normal for bugs to go and come back again,or do you think it was because she ate too soon?I'm at a bit of a loss as I've never known this happen before.I'd be grateful for any advice.Thankyou.

[Will not be sending her to school until next week,just to be sure].

rabbitstew Thu 02-Dec-10 08:27:13

Sounds like she maybe ate a bit too much too soon and demonstrated that she isn't quite as over it as you thought. Did she say whether she slept OK, or had she actually been feeling pretty dire all night, but not actually sick until she started moving about to get up???

It's happened with my dss before - I thought they were getting better and was keen to get them eating again and overdid it. I always have to remind myself that you can actually survive for weeks without food if you have to - it's the fluids, salts and sugars that are important (ie not just water, but, eg, flat coke, water with the right amount of sugar and salt added, or vile tasting dioralyte type stuff). Food should only be re-introduced gradually, even if when you are eating it you feel hungry and want to wolf it down.

maxybrown Thu 02-Dec-10 08:44:25

agree with rabbitstew smile

MrsThisIsTheCadillacOfNailguns Thu 02-Dec-10 09:00:25

Thankyou so much! I really appreciate your advice.She has perked up a bit and now wants bread and jam.I'm going to hold off for as long as I can and just let her have a tiny bit of plain bread.She has got a glass of weak orange drink instead.

She says she slept alright,so perhaps it was a getting up/too much food too soon combination.

maxybrown Thu 02-Dec-10 09:01:11

have you got any flat lemonade?

MrsThisIsTheCadillacOfNailguns Thu 02-Dec-10 11:57:45

No,and we are a 12 mile round trip to the shops and it is snowing like fury.To top it all the washing machine pipes have frozen and come apart,so can't use that.Luckily my mum is in the next village and has been washing the sheets and towels for me.DD2 has had a slice of dry bread and is just having a few ready salted crisps,not ideal I suppose,but apart from dry crackers and apple I don't know what else to give her.She is busy making paper mache stars at the minute.

maxybrown Thu 02-Dec-10 12:56:03

that'll be fine - some salt there too which she will need. hope she keeps it all in and down smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now