Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Weight loss after pregnancy

(3 Posts)
redandyellowandpinkandgreen Wed 01-Dec-10 21:03:44

I know this sounds like a great problem to have but I genuinely have some concerns about it.

I have always been overweight and only gained about 12 pounds when pregnant. I had my baby two weeks ago and when I came home from hospital I was at my pre-pregnancy weight which I had kind of expected. Since then the weight has kept coming off and now I am 18 pounds lighter than before I was pregnant and that seems to have come off in two weeks. Every other day I am weighing myself and finding I have lost three pounds or so.

I know some loss is fluid and is normal but surely it isn't normal to lose so much so quickly? I am breast feeding, eating well, resting etc. I have googled but don't have any other symptoms to point to any illness. I am not going to collapse at any point as I am still definitely in the overweight category.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I feel a bit daft asking the doctor about it. I mentioned it to the health visitor and she didn't seem concerned.

I am making the most of it and stuffing my face as much as I can!

Baublepink Wed 01-Dec-10 21:48:04

I believe this very same thing happened to one of the GMTV presenters, it turned out to be an overactive thyroid. Thyroid issues sometimes happen after pregancy, are diagnosed with a simple blood test and can be treated successfully.

Definitely ask the doctor about it. Although it sounds like a good problem to have, if there is an underlying health cause then it should be treated. The blood test will show up a lot re how your body is functioning (one test and they can check liver, thyroid, kidney function, deficiencies - allsorts smile Ring the docs and make an appointment as soon as you can.

At the very least your HV should have urged you to make a doctors appointment asap. This is what annoys me about some "health" "professionals" hmm.

Baublepink Wed 01-Dec-10 21:52:58

I actually had an underactive thyroid after pg which is the opposite problem, I couldn't shift the weight even though I ate reasonably healthily, but apart from that and one or two other symptoms I didn't fit all the classic underactive thyroid symptoms. A blood test confirmed it though. So it's possible to have a condition without all the symptoms in the book as it were.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: