Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

PCOS / Diabetic Diet Advice and Recipes Needed Please

(23 Posts)
AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Wed 01-Dec-10 14:39:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kewcumber Wed 01-Dec-10 14:42:49

are they going to put you on metformin - would seem the sensible first step aling with a change in diet.

most effectivecontrol for PCOS and diabetes is exercise but then you probably know this!.

You can have cereal - bran based or porridge - whole wheat toast with cottage cheese and marmite or marmalde (a little). I find cottage cheese excellent for breakfast - low fat and high protein - mis with some fruit fresh or dried and a chopped brazil nut.

Small new potatoes OK as is basmati rice just keep portion size moderate and add veg with it to bulk out.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 01-Dec-10 14:47:41

Collette Harris (herself a PCOSer) has written several books on the subject along with a cookery book. I would also look for low GI/GL (glyceamic load) recipe books.

I was also going to ask if the doc is going to prescribe Metformin.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Wed 01-Dec-10 14:48:08

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Wed 01-Dec-10 14:49:53

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Wed 01-Dec-10 15:05:39

taffetazatyousantaclaus Wed 01-Dec-10 15:21:48

I had PCOS diagnosed when I was 18, 25 years ago when very little was known about it. I was told it was unlikely I would ever have children. Fortunately, things have moved on a lot in the intervening 25 years but I haven't kept up to speed with the developments much, but have found that cutting out carbs at lunchtime and having very little carbs in the evenings not only has an enormous impact on my energy levels, but is a sure fire weight loss plan.

On average, a normal day I will eat low sugar cereal for breakfast, a small bowl. Mid morning an apple and if I'm really hungry a small banana too. Lunchtime I have soup eg carrot or butternut and if still hungry some crudities and low fat cream cheese.

Mid afternoon if hungry a piece of fruit or a cracker or two.

Dinner I will have a small portion of the family meal, but hardly any carbs with it if its is easy to separate it. I don't eat much pasta any more, if thats what I've cooked for the family, I might cook myself some eggs separately.

So really for me I still have a fair bit of dairy, keep the carbs and sugar low and it seems to work.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Wed 01-Dec-10 21:25:53

A1980 Wed 01-Dec-10 22:52:50

I have PCOS and was told to go on a low GI diet. Low GI doesn't exclude dairy. I have a wonderful endocrinologist and I was not told to exclude dairy but was told to lay off the sugar.

TBH I wouldn't exclude too much as it'll be a very boring diet to be on and you may lapse. Perhaps just cut back on the dairy.

Kewcumber Wed 01-Dec-10 23:06:50

I have never heard of cutting dairy for PCOS and I have been diagnosed for 20 years and have readextensively. Ultimately do what works for you - I think undoubtedly low GI works though if you want to be really up on the latest look up glycaemic load diet/infomration which is actually better and cuts out some of the anomalies. Lots of the research is australian (or was otehrs may have caught up now).

Its so rubbish that people with PCOS are unlikely to get pregnant - I know loads and I'm the only one who never got pregnant, Clomid is highly effectiveon PCOS especially in conjunction with low GP diet and metformin.

I found metformin highly effective and is proven to be very effective in conjunction with fertility drugs if you are TTC. It also staves off diabetes very effectviely. I'm surprised someone in the field doesn't recommend it - metformin is approved for use in PCOS now so even GP's can prescribe.

Smash09 Wed 01-Dec-10 23:21:46

Scrambled, boiled or poached eggs for breaky a few times a week alternated with porridge and mixed nuts, staves off boredom and a good balance so you don't overdose on eggs too much smile

Salads brilliant for lunch, make sure to include protein though, such as beans, lentils, small amounts of nuts, tofu, fish, lean meat. Hummus and raw veg or lightly steamed veggies with asian style dressing (no sugar though).

Snacks of oatcakes with smear of almond butter, less sweet fruits such as berries, and soya yoghurts maybe.

Dinners could be stir fries, roast dinners, vegetable soups and stews, basically vary the meats/fish/veggies as much as possible and vary the spices and aromatics lots.

Concordia Wed 01-Dec-10 23:27:12

just marking my place on this thread as i am 4stone overweight with pcos and am finding it hard to keep on low gi diet.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Thu 02-Dec-10 16:43:18

taffetazatyousantaclaus Thu 02-Dec-10 17:39:14

just to clarify, Kewcumber - I am not saying that its unlikely for people with PCOS to have children. I am saying this is what I was told 25 years ago.

<old gimmer>

ShrinkingViolet Thu 02-Dec-10 17:47:43

reseach on metformin gives mixed results, but the latest study showed that metformin by itself din't help PCOS. Combined with clomid it can help fertility, and combined with low GI eating and exercise it can help with weight loss, but it's certainly not the wonder drug it was thought to be.

Worth trying though, as it does seem to help some people, even though the experts disagree with each other (politely in public, quite vehemently in private wink).

And thankfully the misinformation amongst medical professionals is beginning to go way, although I still meet newly diagnosed women who've been told "you'll never have children because you have PCOS".

The book by Professor Farid linked below is probably pretty good (haven't seen it myself) but he is pretty well respected (although a bit too focused on pushing his private practice IME). Any low GI/GL recipe book would be OK, but look at stuff coming out of Australia, as they are at the forefront of PCOS diet stuff at the minute.

taffetazatyousantaclaus Thu 02-Dec-10 18:10:22

I feel very,very foolish for not having kept up to date with developments in PCOS understanding over the years. I buried my head in the sand about it, assumed I wouldn't have children and then when DH and I discussed it we decided to give it a try anyway. I was 35 by this point.

I got to 35 thinking I would never have children and they are the greatest shock of my life.

Kewcumber Thu 02-Dec-10 19:23:00

sorry teffeta - yes I understand what you mean I wasn;t talking about you but the professionals, Its still really common to be told you will be unlikely to have childrne which makes me cross becasue its really not true for the vast majority of women who have PCOS.

I haven't kept up to date with the metformin trials though personally I found that it didn't help me lose weight dramatically though I found I was well able to maintain my wieght on it (vs putting weight on not using Met). It also improved my insulin resistance dramatically and would probably have staved off diabetes if not for ever then certian for a significant period. I think this was the primary reason it was recommended for me - weight maintenance, diabetes prevention and fertility aid with clmod/IVF

Kewcumber Thu 02-Dec-10 19:25:04

Half my family are on metformin (diabetes) and the horrible side effects in all our (not very big sample) disappeared after about 2 months. I found the same on the several occasions I've been on it.

I'm sure there are exceptions but its a hugely popular (and effective) diabetes drug and I though the side effects are generally temporary.

ShrinkingViolet Fri 03-Dec-10 12:22:52

you can get slow release metformin (but I think you need to ask for it to be specifically prescribed) which can help with the side effects, plus working out your personal timings (I found in the middle of a meal worked best, but YMMV).

Kewcumber Fri 03-Dec-10 13:24:42

I also found eating at the beginning of a sizeable meal (ie proper meal not glass of milk) worked and to cut down certain things which seems to have an immediate effect like mayonaise in my case.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Fri 03-Dec-10 14:14:09

Kewcumber Fri 03-Dec-10 16:28:04

That doesn;t sound good! You were unlucky though (any consolation?) for most people they do disappear.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Fri 03-Dec-10 17:00:16

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: