Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Genital Warts!!

(32 Posts)
boohoo80 Wed 01-Dec-10 14:07:57

I have them,

Noticed first one little while ago, have had 2 frozen off. Been clear now for a little while.

How long have you been clear??

Feel sick.

boohoo80 Wed 01-Dec-10 17:57:21

Anyone?

A1980 Wed 01-Dec-10 22:54:37

I could be wrong but I doubt you'll find many people on here with that.

alypaly Wed 01-Dec-10 23:20:54

highly contagious...so get them sorted before any sex.

alypaly Wed 01-Dec-10 23:21:39

highly contagious...so get them sorted before any sex.you poor thing. have you contracted them from someone else

KerryMumbles Wed 01-Dec-10 23:34:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

alypaly Wed 01-Dec-10 23:48:59

the virus stays in your system so you will need regular check ups sad

BelleDeChocChipCookieMonster Wed 01-Dec-10 23:52:07

They are caused by the herpes virus, similar to the one that causes chicken pox and cold sores, meaning that they are always in your system and re-appear when you are unwell or stressed. Have you been back to your GP?

alypaly Thu 02-Dec-10 00:01:13

genital warts are caused by the human papilloma virus HPV and herpes is caused by herpes simlex virus HSV

BelleDeChocChipCookieMonster Thu 02-Dec-10 00:02:51

Sorry, thanks alypaly smile

alypaly Thu 02-Dec-10 00:03:59

thats ok bellesmile

diddl Thu 02-Dec-10 09:43:47

Only just seen this.

Had them many years ago.

About 10yrs later had an abnormal smear-
CINII for which I had laser treatment.

So keep up with the smears, or if you have any pain/bleeding after sex, get checked.

HowsTheSerenity Thu 02-Dec-10 09:52:46

A190 - Can I ask why you think that not many people on here would have GW? Are mumsnetters immune? Do you think only a certain type of person gets them?
And it is people like you that make STI a stigma in society.

Vbnm Thu 02-Dec-10 11:02:13

1. a1980 why do you think no one on mn is likely to have them? What a horrible thing to say. In fact it is estimated that in the USA 15% of people have the virus. See link http://dermatology.cdlib.org/123/reviews/warts/sch einfeld.html

2. Most people infected with the hpv strain that causes warts will not actually get warts. They still have the virus. See link http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/sexual health/stiswarts.shtml

3. Hpv is a consequence of having sex really. You can get it even if you use a condom and have never slept with anyone else.

4. You are not "most likely" to also have them in your vagina. Though you should be examined and treated obviously.

5. Some wart types are linked to an increase in risk for cervical cancer. Not all. There are over 100 strains of hpv. It is important that we all have regular smear tests. Whether we have exhibited symptoms of hpv infection or not.

6. There is no reason why you could not have a vaginal birth unless the warts were so severe as to obstruct the birth canal.

7. It is completely different to herpes.

8. You do not need regular check ups. If they come back, deal with them again. You do not need to think about it when they are not there.

I hope this helps boohoo. Please don't worry and don't beat yourself up about it. Get to your gp or gum clinic and get it sorted.

KerryMumbles Thu 02-Dec-10 11:25:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bellamysbride Thu 02-Dec-10 11:34:26

Hi boohoo. Please don't think that you are alone. As Vbnm said lots of people have the hpv virus and are unaware, hence the need for a hpv vaccine. My DP had warts soon after we met, they were treated then (8yrs ago) and have not returned. Shortly after that I had a smear and then a biopsy which showed moderate changes caused by the hpv strain which causes genital warts. I had large loop excision of the area of change and have had no problems since (I have regular smears). I genuinely don't worry about it and count myself lucky that at least I know the risks so can be vigilant. Please try not to let it worry you.

a1980-that was inaccurate and insensitive. Loads of mumsnetters will have had genital warts or will have hpv, but people keep quiet about it. This just encourages the ignorant attitude that only certain sectors of society are prey to STIs.

BertieBasset Thu 02-Dec-10 11:39:22

Vbnm rocks! Listen to the advice from her (?) and please don't worry. Treat them and they will go away, they may come back so you treat them again.

And they do not cause cervical cancer, or CIN.

noddyholder Thu 02-Dec-10 11:40:56

The virus that causes them definitely causes types of cancer.I have just had a leaflet on this as I am in a high risk group due to medication I am on.Get then
m treated and no sex!

BertieBasset Thu 02-Dec-10 11:49:15

The NHS clearly states that the type of HPV that causes warts is different to that which causes cervical cancer.

this page

diddl Thu 02-Dec-10 11:59:13

I had warts & years later CINII.

diddl Thu 02-Dec-10 12:02:42

Isn´t it that if you have had warts you are prone to HPV & therefore more likely to have CIN that someone who has never had warts?

hifi Thu 02-Dec-10 12:09:54

dh gave them to me when i first met him,been clear for 16 years.

Vbnm Thu 02-Dec-10 12:16:45

That could be right diddl. There is contradictory information on this. See cancer research website which agrees with nhs guidance posted by bertiebassett that it is not the same virus.

http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/type/cervical-cancer/ about/cervical-cancer-risks-and-causes

diddl Thu 02-Dec-10 12:24:52

No, but it´s a different strain of the same one?

So if you´ve had one, it would make sense that you might get another?

Bit like having had chiken pox & then getting shingles?

Vbnm Thu 02-Dec-10 12:33:06

Afaik there are over 100 strains of hpv. You dont get strains with strains iykwim. It makes sense that if you have one strain you are more likely to have been exposed to another and have it too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now