Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

appt with gynae tomorrow. what do i want to know?

(59 Posts)
KerryMumbles Wed 01-Dec-10 12:17:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ANTagony Wed 01-Dec-10 12:23:26

Iron supplements necessary? Calcium levels/ bone density checking - any family history of osteoporosis, appropriate lubricants for sex, appropriate birth control, therapy options i.e. hormonal treatment options to regulate your periods (if this becomes necessary, medical options if the in between bleeding gets heavy. Are your smears up to date?

KerryMumbles Wed 01-Dec-10 12:29:08

KerryMumbles Wed 01-Dec-10 12:29:18

KerryMumbles Wed 01-Dec-10 12:30:33

KerryMumbles Wed 01-Dec-10 12:30:58

frakkinup Wed 01-Dec-10 12:44:49

They might send you for a scan to see if there are fibroids, which may need monitoring.

Obviously you don't want to have a hysterectomy but there are some things where that is the best course of action. Fingers crossed that's not necessary though!

KerryMumbles Wed 01-Dec-10 12:47:41

frakkinup Wed 01-Dec-10 12:58:25

I think there are hormonal or drug treatment options but if they're very fast growing that might indicate that they're the kind which require surgery, although it doesn't necessarily need to be a hysterectomy.

It can be perimenopausal but you're right to get it checked with the gynae

KerryMumbles Wed 01-Dec-10 13:27:52

KerryMumbles Wed 01-Dec-10 13:28:30

VivaLeBeaver Wed 01-Dec-10 13:36:21

Have you had your hormone levels checked yet, if so do they show its peri menopause.

If so ask if that would account for your symptoms.

If not then what else could it be - ask the gynae if they are discounting fibroids, endometriosis and cancer (very unlikely to be cancer).

Ask what his plan of action is - does he want a scan for fibroids, if thats clear would he recommend a laporoscopy to see if its endometriosis.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 01-Dec-10 13:37:12

If they were concerned they'd see you this fast whether they had a cancellation or not.

ANTagony Wed 01-Dec-10 14:25:04

I've had bleeding between periods on and off for a couple of years. Over the last year and a bit I've had three miscarriages and then a haemorrhage of sorts that left me anaemic. Obviously have been to the GP a few times. The one that made the most sense said 'once you get to your age (36) hormonal changes do funny things to your body. Spotting between periods and after sex become more common. If you're overly concerned we can refer you for tests'. I fell pregnant on my next cycle (now 32 weeks) so didn't go for any tests, but neither am I overly worried.

I think google is fantastic but not if your searching without any accurate parameters. If you google persistent headache, something that we all get no doubt from time to time, you'd self diagnose with a brain tumour.

Sounds like you've been lucky with a cancellation and you no doubt got the call because you answered the phone, not because you were top of the list.

KerryMumbles Wed 01-Dec-10 19:43:56

Jellykat Wed 01-Dec-10 20:23:57

Don't worry Kerry, i've had 2 years of this,(am 47).Missed periods,flooding and bleeding after sex.

You are up to date with smears,so they just need to see if there are any Fibroids or signs of Endomitriosis.They discovered i have both!
Fibroids tend to shrink after menopause as they are Oestragen fed, if you have them and aren't in pain you don't need any further action.. I had Endo outside the cervix, this was 'frozen' off, which was really o.k..

They did suggest in my case a hysterectomy, i said No Thanks!and a year later i still bleed after sex,But have now developed perimenopausal night sweats,and hot flushes..

Don't be afraid to ask questions!i got them to draw diagrams until i totally understood,and if you're not happy with any suggestions they propose,you can think about it,and get back to them!(I also asked for a second opinion, which is fine too)

You are having a first appt. which is usually just a chat, and a look, and maybe a quick ultrasound.It really isn't too bad, and lots of women our age have strange things going on, it doesn't necessarily mean anything really bad!

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 02-Dec-10 08:02:27

If you have fibroids, a hysterectomy isn't essential, you could have a myomectomy.
Good luck. I am currently perimenopausal and the hot sweats are really knackering. I haven't seen a proper period for over a year, up to now I've had around four hours of bleeding spread out over 6 occasions.
Womens body's are complicated things.

KerryMumbles Thu 02-Dec-10 09:31:33

ANTagony Thu 02-Dec-10 10:01:31

If you did a poll of women who feel they've got a belly that wont go away (especially post baby belly) I don't know many that would claim they didn't have one.

When's the appointment? I hope its soon so that you're able to move forward, its horrid once something like this starts to take you over.

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 02-Dec-10 10:53:04

Agree totally with ANT. Belly's are there and are in no way indicative of anything sinister. As you point out , it was one of her symptoms.
One word of advice though. Step away from Google.

KerryMumbles Thu 02-Dec-10 15:29:53

Jellykat Thu 02-Dec-10 18:41:04

Kerry, i had a hysteroscopy too,and i was shitting it like you,convinced i wouldn't wake up!! what a numpty i was!... It's one day,a reasonable price for peace of mind-try and look at it that way.It's much better to eliminate the possibilities, then to leave it.Your consultant suspects it will be normal, that's positive.It will be okay x

KerryMumbles Fri 03-Dec-10 09:20:10

Jellykat Fri 03-Dec-10 17:59:49

Kerry,An ultrasound is like a moving photograph,showing shapes,shadows etc like when you were pregnant and they looked at baby-remember how tricky it was to see things in detail when you looked at the photo they gave you?.The hysteroscopy will allow them to see inside in detail,and take a tiny sample of the lining (this lining is shed every period anyway)to look at under a microscope..It is a much more thorough look.

I don't really know the difference between spinal or bog standard GA..Is it not just a different way of administering, and presumably a different form of anaesthetic?
but the outcome is the same..

Presumably you've had no reaction to anaesthetic at say the dentists, when you've had a filling? and just because you're DCs have allergies doesn't mean you are the same, you would know by now,plus their sensitivities could come from their dads' side.

My DS2 has a severe reaction to penicillin for example, i don't.My dad died of chronic asthma, and a heart attack at 36,i'm 47 and fine!

They know what they are doing,and will check lots of things before they give you the GA.You can ask questions too,when they each introduce themselves.I was in tears at one point,and they really took time to talk about my fears..

Please try not to worry,you will wake up, honestly!! x

KerryMumblesFaints Sun 05-Dec-10 13:10:18

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: