Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Constipation - any tips to move things along?

(24 Posts)
ilovedjasondonovan Tue 30-Nov-10 19:44:26

For the first time in my life I've got constipation and its not nice.

Any tips/advice on how best to get things moving along????

rubyslippers Tue 30-Nov-10 19:45:38

Prunes
Dried apricots

Plenty of water

NotAnotherBrick Tue 30-Nov-10 19:46:02

Firstly, lots and lots of fluids - orange juice particularly good.

Oranges, grapes, plums/prunes, kiwis.

Don't eat bananas or eggs.

KurriKurri Tue 30-Nov-10 19:50:37

yes plenty of fluids, prunes, prune juice, veggies, wholemeal bread/cereals (but important to keep fluids up or they can have the opposite effect). If you want a quicker fix, or those don't work, glycerin/glycerol suppositories from the chemist work quickly and effectively.

Nettlerash Tue 30-Nov-10 19:52:10

Boiled water cooled down with some brown sugar disolved in it.

Eurostar Tue 30-Nov-10 20:02:37

Plums and pear slow stewed in a little water. Drink the juice and eat the fruit. Eat with a little live yoghurt to help the friendly bacteria multiply.

ItsJustMyOpinion Tue 30-Nov-10 20:06:13

Cranberry juice is a good one to have. Also, plenty of fibre.

annie11 Tue 30-Nov-10 20:52:35

All of the above, plus put your feet on something like an upside down washing up bowl or a low stool, so that your knees are above your hips. Sounds daft but it really works. Good luck!

FluffMacDuff Tue 30-Nov-10 21:01:23

If it happens often, go to health food shop and get some linseeds / flaxseeds. Helped me when I was pg and was easy to get into the habit of adding a spoonful to cereal/soup every day and still do it now as they're so good for you.

But they definitely have to be ground as i took the advice of a friend to put a spoonful of them (whole) into water and it did NOT work at all. Too much bulk IYSWIM.

Hope these all help.

Beamur Tue 30-Nov-10 21:02:32

Apricots, orange juice - all of the above. Lactulose also v good and gentle.

copycat Tue 30-Nov-10 21:45:44

Prune juice definitely!

ppeatfruit Wed 01-Dec-10 16:11:00

Sometimes even the best organic wholemeal wheat bread can cause this (any wheat does it to me). I 2nd linseeds and prunes but eat fruit on an empty stomach.

selfishmum Wed 01-Dec-10 16:57:40

coffee, especially filter coffee always gets me going!

Bonsoir Wed 01-Dec-10 16:58:22

Lentil soup

sandripples Wed 01-Dec-10 19:12:33

all the above, and black coffee.

ChilledChick2 Wed 01-Dec-10 21:19:59

I'm regularly constipated due to the pain relief I'm on ATM, but I'd either have a dose of lactulose or a glass (or two) of Movicol in 5mins. Lactulose can be bought OTC in Boots. Stronger lactulose and Movicol can be prescribed by your GP.

Movicol is great because where other laxatives will draw fluids from the body to soften faeces, Movicol keeps more fluids in the body to avoid dehydration as much as possible.

If all that fails, I dissolve 1-2 tsp of Epsom Salts in a glass of warm water and drink, again, within 5mins. This takes (for me) about 10-30mins to work and I do this on a day where I don't have to go out at all as I need to be close to a toilet.

Hope you manage to get rid of this as there's little more uncomfortable that being stuffed up.

A1980 Wed 01-Dec-10 22:49:19

The best remedy I find is Milk of Magnesia. It works a treat. Nothing fixes it as quickly as that, I'm talking a few hours!

Lilymaid Wed 01-Dec-10 23:00:53

Oranges work well and almost immediately for me.

CuddlyNotFat Wed 01-Dec-10 23:02:18

Fibogel - also particularly good for that 1st post-birth poo! blush

RobynLou Wed 01-Dec-10 23:05:21

linseeds are great, I add some to my cereal every morning...

iTigress Wed 01-Dec-10 23:12:13

Second vote for Fybogel, also loads of water. Tea always works for me too, may be the caffeine. I'd say no to bread type foods though, they'll clog you up more!

Helium Sat 04-Dec-10 09:11:23

Would it be really bad to suggest the following which always work for me:
A cigarette (I don't smoke)
Chocolate (I don't eat this normally either)
Looking at houses on rightmove - seriously this seems to work for me - must scare me or something!

alypaly Sun 05-Dec-10 09:12:47

fresh pineapple eaten in larger quantities than normal is a natural purgative(laxative).
i made the mistake of eating about 3 slices and the world fell out of my bum.
i really thought i had caught an horrendous tunny bug until i ate the rest of it a couple of days later. what a bowel cleanser!!!!!!!!!!!!
who needs colonic irrigationsmile

LadyInaManger Sun 05-Dec-10 09:26:43

This was me a few months back so i understand your dilemma OP!

I actually did go down the route of colonic irrigation but that really only works when you are cleaned out and it's not something i would do again in a hurry.

The health food shop advised this powder called Lepicol which you add to a pint of squash and as it is natural you can take it daily unlike lactulose and other similar products ( as your bowel gets lazy and cant perform without them).

I did try the powder and it worked but made me feel so full and bloated and couldn't imagine taking it daily but the best thing i came up with was a glass of chilled prune juice every morning first thing followed by some linseeds stirred into a yoghurt (to soften them and swell them) and i have been every day like clockwork which is a miracle for me. I have had to have a bowel op and so was told never to get constipated and this was my cure.

Things work differently for different people so try each way and find one that suits you (and your pocket).

All the best from a fellow ex sufferer smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: