Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Stopped Smoking support

(7 Posts)
WentBlank Tue 30-Nov-10 18:43:03

Is there a thread going already does anyone know ?? (I have looked and can not find anything)

stinkypants Tue 30-Nov-10 22:06:02

well i dont know but if you have stopped, a big well done from me - i stopped years ago and it was the best thing i ever did.

silentcatastrophe Wed 01-Dec-10 19:01:11

I stopped (again) about 2 months ago. I did smoke a fag at an opening. I am pretty crap at not smoking when there are people around who are smoking. So far, I have been better. Keep it up WentBlank!

WentBlank Thu 02-Dec-10 07:32:29

God - today is only day 5. It is not too bad the only real PITA is the pains i am getting in my legs (like restlessness) I really want to do this... but I think i will never be able to go out again or ever drink again !!

SofiaAmes Thu 02-Dec-10 07:48:25

My dh tried everything to quit smoking and nothing worked longer than a few months. His GP finally suggested Champix (has some pretty awful side effects, so needs to be considered carefully). It was a huge success. He quit, didn't gain weight and wasn't a total a**hole. It's been over a year and many pubs and marital arguments (his triggers) since and he has not even been tempted. I wish you all luck, but definitely if whatever you are trying isn't working, try Champix.

WentBlank Thu 02-Dec-10 16:26:48

Thanks !! Nice side effects ! wow

SofiaAmes Fri 03-Dec-10 07:40:01

In dh's case, he got awful nightmares (dh had never had one before in all the years we've been together) and insomnia as well as nausea. He was a little crabby, but no where near as much as when he'd try to quit by other methods. He actually reduced the dose in half within a week or two of the system doubling it (you start on one pill a day and then go to two at some point...he found that two was just too much and reduced back to one). Dh had been a smoker since age 12 and quit when he was 48. He also did not want to quit, but had to because he kept getting pneumonia and bronchitis. Champix worked well for him because he was still allowed to smoke after starting the medicine. That was a really strong psychological attraction for him (ie not being told he had to do something). The medicine then makes the cigarettes taste so awful that he not only stopped desiring them, but truly was disgusted by them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now