Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

antifungals and breastfeeding

(2 Posts)
kveta Tue 30-Nov-10 14:08:21

hi,
I've got the delight that is ringworm, and the GP and I are struggling to work out what to do to clear it - I've had it for about 4 months now, and it started with one small patch but is now everywhere on my body, so I really want rid of it. I'm still breastfeeding my 14 month old and have no plans to stop.

I've been told I really need terbinafine tablets, but all the info I can find about them says not to take them whilst breastfeeding (small molecular weight, gets into milk, and may accumulate). The terbinafine cream I'm using is next to useless, and I was on miconazole cream too, but it's also useless. The GP is happy to prescribe me an alternative if I can find evidence it won't adversely affect DS.

any ideas?

thanks.

(am posting this in breastfeeding too in case anyone has experience over there!)

nightcat Tue 30-Nov-10 15:14:07

try Zn supplement rather than anything toxic, check it but I think it's OK when breastfeeding
fungal infections are often linked with low immunity and Zn deficiency

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now