Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

How can I stop myself coughing constantly

(26 Posts)
ditavonteesed Tue 30-Nov-10 10:33:27

going to buy some medicine (and tena ladies) at lunch time when i take dd2 to nursery but in the mean time what would help, a hot shower a hot bath? also how do you know what sort of cough it is?

maxybrown Tue 30-Nov-10 13:35:10

oh god sorry can't help but am in exactly the ame situation. Just had a hot shower and it was lovely, didn't want to get out - but at the minute can't move at all and when I do can't stop coughing (and weeing blush)

I'm not snotty at all but feel like an elephant is sat on my chest and cough cough cough! Hope yours improves, let me know if you crack it!

Furball Tue 30-Nov-10 13:36:22

manuka honey - on a spoon twice a day

tis expensive but worth every penny

maxybrown Tue 30-Nov-10 13:42:59

ooh yes it is expensive isn't it? Honey makes me wretch so kind of begrudge forking out that much for something I really hate hmm I know I know.........

Furball Tue 30-Nov-10 13:45:33

tastes more treacle than honey and it really will work

maxybrown Tue 30-Nov-10 13:46:50

really? My Mum and Dad have it every day. Is it about £15 ish?

mousymouse Tue 30-Nov-10 13:47:14

You can inhale with very hot water and salt (over a sink with a towel to trap the steam).
have you got thyme at home? then you can make yourself thyme honey, which is very soothing. just mix 2 tablespoons of honey with 2 tablespoons of water and bring to a simmer with a sprig of thyme. let it cool and take a teaspoon if you feel like it.

ditavonteesed Tue 30-Nov-10 14:00:11

thanks will they have that honey in holland and barrets? hot shower helped while I was in it but cough cough again the second I stepped out. got some medicine, worked for about 2 seconds, snotty and sneezy as well now. going t5o have a look if I have got any thyme now, sure I have.

maxybrown Tue 30-Nov-10 14:01:40

yeah same here dita!

I couldn't cope with thyme in it as well. eek!

They sell it in Boots too that honey! Imagine H&B will be expensive?

alfabetty Tue 30-Nov-10 14:04:33

If it is a dry cough at night, put Vicks on the soles of your feet, then socks on, and sleep on your side.

If you take something like Day Nurse it will dry up the congestion and has a cough suppressant in too. But those sorts of medicines tend to keep you awake at night, hence the Vicks tip for bedtime.

DingDongMerrilyAsCheese Tue 30-Nov-10 14:04:49

You can also try Ibroprufen - if you can take it which will reduce the inflamtion in your throat which is causing you to continue coughing.

This worked a treat with littlemad this weekend.

ditavonteesed Tue 30-Nov-10 14:05:11

oh cool could head to boots on way home as is inbetween school and nursery. not got any tyhme, just disolved some normal honey in boiling water and drunk that, yuck b ut hopefully help for a few minutes. hopwe your feeling better soon maxy.

maxybrown Tue 30-Nov-10 14:05:21

I read that about vicks but hmm

cheaper than I thought

maxybrown Tue 30-Nov-10 14:06:12

right I have normal honey will go and try it too.

alfabetty Tue 30-Nov-10 14:08:31

The vicks tip does work!! smile

MerrilyDefective Tue 30-Nov-10 14:12:31

I heard the vicks tip on Ken Bruce this morning(radio 2).
Have you tried it?

maxybrown Tue 30-Nov-10 14:24:07

how bizarre! I normally listen to ken but was too busy coughing in the living room instead! i read it on the internet this morning but ama bit hmm tp be honest

ditavonteesed Tue 30-Nov-10 14:26:21

I will give anything a go right now, so vicks. ibuprofen and olbas oil on tissue seems to be helping a bit. colds are disgusting.

CURLYMAMMA Tue 30-Nov-10 14:28:36

alphabetty, so going to try that tonight

alypaly Tue 30-Nov-10 17:21:41

by some morphine and ipecacuhana(sp) it is amazing for an irritating cough and the ipecac breaks up phlegm too. it is the only thing that has worked for me over the last 2 weeks when i couldnt stop coughing.

alfabetty Tue 30-Nov-10 17:59:59

Didn't hear Ken Bruce, but vicks on feet is tried and tested in this house. Good for dry, tickly coughs. Apparently based on the principle that you can 'taste' through your feet - if you stand in onions you'll taste them eventually... not so sure about all that myself, but however the vicks thing works, it does!

maxybrown Tue 30-Nov-10 18:29:54

ah right, we're going to try it. Funny that as DH came home saying about smearing garlic on on feet and your breath smelling later. That was before I even told him about the vicks thing!

ditavonteesed Tue 30-Nov-10 18:36:38

dh thinks I am a loon who has spent a hell of a lot of money on medicinal things today. am quite looking forward to trying the vicks thing just for its madness.

maxybrown Wed 01-Dec-10 09:04:57

well? I did it! I didn't cough all night - amazing! I did however have a sore throat from HELL so hardly slept, but at least it gave my ribs a rest.

Have been a good girl and had some warm honey this morning which has soothed my throat a teeny tiny bit, but it is red raw and feels like I have had a blow torch on it sad

How are you Dita?

ditavonteesed Wed 01-Dec-10 09:40:49

I again seem to have stopped coughing quite so much but am back to achy everything, feel like death, just lost it with dd1 as she was arguing, not sure how i am going to cope today dont think I have had a cold like this ever, was awake with sweats and fever most if the night.
sorry your still not good. sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: