Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Paroxetine. Your experiences.

(10 Posts)
DeepDeepDown Tue 30-Nov-10 07:12:33

Please?

I am depressed.

GP's prescribed me Paroxetine, 20mg a day.

What sort of negative effects can I expect?

How long before you felt better and how long to come off them?

Many thanks in advance.

WherecanIhide Tue 30-Nov-10 19:43:17

Is that Seroxat?

TrinityMotherOfRhinos Tue 30-Nov-10 19:46:00

seroxat is the brand name

it is paroxetine
I am on 60 mg a day
the only side effects I have ever had (and I have accidently come off them and then gone back on themO) have been feeling a little nauseous unless I eat regularly

go for it, the pros far outway the cons

ypu will be feeling wobly about it because you are depressed

seriously go for it

OopsDoneItAgain Tue 30-Nov-10 19:49:40

It sorted me out when I was really bad. I think I had dry mouth for a while and constipation, but compared to how I was feeling that was a minor irritation. If you feel really rubbish, it will help.

I would say tho, come off it slowly when you do feel you want to. Its not one to rush. I stupidly cold turkeyed and it was a bit unpleasant! But my own fault.

DeepDeepDown Wed 01-Dec-10 12:08:39

Hi.

Well, mine is called Deroxat, but yes, it's Paroxetine.

I took the first dose last night, but I've been doing a lot of online research and there are many withdrawal horror stories.

I don't know whether to continue.

TMOR, how long have you been taking it and do you see yourself stopping?

ODIA, are you free of the drug now?

Thanks.

ilovehens Wed 01-Dec-10 18:39:45

It works very well, but the withdrawal is probably the worst out of all the ssris.

When you do need to come off it ask your gp to prescribe the liquid so that you can slowly decrease the doses each day until you stop.

I was on it years ago, but take Citalopram now.

Seroxat is very good for social phobia and it also completely cured me of my dog phobia funnily enough.

One thing though, it can increase suicidal thoughts, so if you're prone to these, just be aware that you need to speak to your gp about it if you do begin to feel like this. Don't let them fob you off either, you can switch to another ssri if necessary.

FnD Wed 01-Dec-10 20:13:15

I love it! Have been on and off it for years - God possibly moving into decades shock.
As others have said withdrawal is difficult but manageable if planned.
Not the one I'd choose if thinking about pregnancy in the near future though.
For me ( and I have done the rounds!) its been ace for both anxiety and depression.
I have found it to work really quickly and in the beginning, I think i have struggled a little bit with nausea - but soon passed. I take it at night which might help with that.

have you been offered support other than medication?

DeepDeepDown Thu 02-Dec-10 07:27:30

Thanks for the replies.

I stopped taking it - tuesday's tablet was my first and last.

I am depressed. I absolutely hate drugs and, from what I've seen, there's more to be said against taking it than for.

DP told me I need to have a drink and walk a mountain. Maybe he's not far off...

The prescribing GP didn't offer me any other support, but strongly urged me to tell someone how I feel - my mother, for example.

Xmas and moving house all within the next few weeks. If I can make it through, I can survive anything.

OopsDoneItAgain Fri 03-Dec-10 14:08:21

Sorry for coming back late to this. Just in case you rethink - personlly, I would reccomend ADs if you're really low, its by far the quickest route to normlity. If seroxat makes you nervous, then I found that citalopram was much gentler, but very very effective. Some suit you, some don't, but this one helped me with the blues but without numbing me, IYKWIM.

That said, I have just weathered depression in the past too. It does pass in time, if you can bear to wait it out. Good luck, hope it eases soon.

ilovehens Fri 03-Dec-10 22:11:35

Citalopram is easier on the system than Seroxat.

You need to take something by the sounds of it. Depression doesn't improve with a drink and a walk.

Go back to your GP and ask for some Citalopram. I don't understand why he's prescribed Seroxat to be honest. It works, but it's not a good first choice.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: