Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

where is the best (and cheapest) place to learn British Sign Language?..

(5 Posts)
nightcat Sun 28-Nov-10 20:46:28

Does it have to be at a college (seems costly, £200+)?
I have looked at the BSL website, there are some free sheets there, anyone done it completely at home to a communicative level?

bigcar Sun 28-Nov-10 20:54:46

signature are the people who do the bsl qualification, worth a look at their site. I'm sure I've seen some correspondance type course on offer but I don't know how good they are. There are a fair few D/deaf clubs around, some of them welcome bsl users but you'd need some basics first. There are a fair few internet sites that show some signs, will have look.

The college courses are quite expensive but they do run for the length of the academic year so when you think about it isn't too bad.

nightcat Sun 28-Nov-10 21:07:17

thanks bigcar, have now also spotted an online intro course on BSL website at just £15, might start with that
after that it might have to be a college, would prefer evening tho
is it hard?

bigcar Sun 28-Nov-10 21:12:16

level 1 is ok, fairly simple, just requires you find time to practice, if you're motivated you should pass.

nightcat Sun 28-Nov-10 21:27:40

thanks bigcar
want to do it with my ds, I think we will start with online to get a feel for it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: