Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Hey, hey, it's vasectomy day!

(10 Posts)
pastaplease Fri 26-Nov-10 09:07:42

DP has his vasectomy in a couple of hours' time.

Leaving this a bit late, but could anyone tell me what I should expect in terms of caring for him over the next four weeks or so? I believe he'll be pretty much back to normal within 48 hours, but then needs to take it easy.

Any tips?

Thanks all.

loopylou6 Fri 26-Nov-10 09:17:50

4 WEEKS? shock more like four hours wink All he will need is to rest today really. Get him some tight underwear for support, let him go to bed for the rest of the day and he'll be absolutely fine, if a little tender tomorrow.

LadyInPink Fri 26-Nov-10 09:22:36

A bag of frozen peas is welcome to help with any swelling and have some paracetamol handy just in case but it's such an straightforward procedure that he will be fine by the end of the weekend at the very latest.

I too was shock at the four weeks prediction - OP think your DP is having you on hee-hee! grin

DilysPrice Fri 26-Nov-10 09:25:43

Good luck. He should recover quickly but do be alert for signs of complications, unlikely but not unheard-of.
FIL's top tip is to not let your toddler jump excitedly onto his crotch because he's pleased to see him come home - 40 years on he can still remember the moment vividly.

nikki1978 Fri 26-Nov-10 09:41:25

No way will it take 4 weeks! He will need to lie down for the rest of today then depending on the swelling and/or bruising will need to take it easy and take painkillers for 3 or 4 days but that should be it!

DH was wanting sex the day after he had his done grin

marriednotdead Fri 26-Nov-10 10:11:18

If he wants to rest for 4 weeks let him, on the understanding that there will be no further sex until his resting is over.

And the longer he 'rests', the longer it will take for him to start firing blanks and so be able to give up using condoms/ abstaining.

Sure he will be feeling fine in a couple of days grin

ArthurPewty Fri 26-Nov-10 10:26:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyInPink Fri 26-Nov-10 13:23:29

Pastaplease - how did it go?

Another top tip is to definitely use condoms or you take the pill until at least 6mths has gone by and he has had the all clear! A friend's husband didn't and she was pregnant within 2 mths so some swimmers do get through until i guess the site has healed properly so just be aware.

Hope your DP isn't too much of a martyr about this like some men are - after all you have had babies which is a lot worse as you know grin

pastaplease Fri 26-Nov-10 19:52:45

Thanks all for your advice. Yep, the four weeks thing does seem excessive!

Leonie, your poor brother. That's awful. Does he take painkillers?

Seems like it all went to plan and I managed to keep DD (2.5) away from his nether regions.

Thanks again everyone.

ArthurPewty Sat 27-Nov-10 08:24:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: