Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Ok, honestly - what is worse -- having a smear done or having a coil fitted??

(15 Posts)
electra Thu 25-Nov-10 22:59:27

I have a smear tomorrow and it's my first ever one. I've worked myself up about it a bit.

How bad is it? I've had a coil fitted which wasn't very nice because they couldn't get it in so it took a long time.

Is it easier than having a coil fitted?

cece Thu 25-Nov-10 23:02:47

Coil fitting is pretty nasty. Smear is not even half as bad. You'll be fine!

DontCallMeBaby Thu 25-Nov-10 23:04:36

Way easier than a coil! Walk in the park! My coil fitting wasn't a huge deal, but I did have wicked cramps afterwards, and I've never had anything like that with a smear.

fruitstick Thu 25-Nov-10 23:05:12

Walk in the park compared to coil fitting.

I cried when having coil fitted. Don't even flinch during smear.

Actually it does smart a bit.

1gglePiggle Thu 25-Nov-10 23:06:24

Yes I'll second that. Coil fitting is horrendous (well was pre-child)! Smears are just a little scratch. Stretch and sweep worse than all the above!

fruitstick Thu 25-Nov-10 23:08:32

Oh god I'd blocked out the stretch and sweep.

I had a male midwife too. It was not an enjoyable experience.

elsiepiddock Thu 25-Nov-10 23:08:55

Coil - worse by a mile

SparkleSoiree Thu 25-Nov-10 23:10:10

Coil way worse. My eyes watered and I walked funny for a few minutes afterward feeling a bit sorry for myself!!

Smear - nothing to it compared to a coil fitting.

electra Thu 25-Nov-10 23:17:13

ooh, thanks ever so much everyone - you've made me feel much less stressed. I have a friend who assured me it was truly awful! But she hasn't had kids though. I did have a sweep once - don't remember that being too bad but I was soooooo massively pregnant I guess I was more concerned about wanting the baby out. Ok, I'll stop panicking.

HouseOfBamboo Thu 25-Nov-10 23:24:33

I hsven't had a coil but have had two smear tests since childbirth. Barely felt a thing (they were fine before childbirth too).

Complete piece of piss compared to pregnancy and childbirth indignity, pain and proddings!

DreamsInBinary Thu 25-Nov-10 23:38:48

Coil excrutiating

Sweep unpleasant.

Smears - and I've had dozens, pre- and post-DC - are not at all painful if you are relaxed. Even if you are tense, they don't hurt.

Nothing to worry about OP!

Valpollicella Thu 25-Nov-10 23:47:53

Coil fitting is like you've signed yourself up to the Devil's earthly beings practising their torture methods

(sorry to anyone having one fitted. It was farking horrendous)

A smear is nothing compared to it - you;ll be fine, honestly

SparkleRainbow Fri 26-Nov-10 12:37:38

Fitting a coil was no problem for me at all, smears even less so, no worries don't panic smile

electra Fri 26-Nov-10 14:31:42

Thanks again everyone. I didn't feel a thing, actually - it was fine - much, much, much easier than having a coil fitted.

SparkleRainbow Fri 26-Nov-10 20:07:17

Well done you smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: