Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Constant coughing and have strained my neck, any advice?

(9 Posts)
disgustedbythisman Thu 25-Nov-10 16:45:44

I have had the flu and am basically better but for the cough

it is so bad I am coughing constantly, really violently. It's very painful and I have strained something in my neck as a result. My throat and upper chest feel red raw and the couging is giving me a headache

does anyone know of ANY remedy which actually clears upa cough?

FanjoForTheMincePies Thu 25-Nov-10 16:48:59

i wojld go and get your chest sounded by GP if it's that bad - you may need antibiotcs.

disgustedbythisman Thu 25-Nov-10 16:51:13

I went to the gp yesterday, he said my chest was clear and the mucous is coming from just below my throat confused

my breathing is raspy constantly, I coughit up and just keep producing more and more stuff to cough up

i know a cough isn't much, but it is making me so miserable, my whole head/neck/shoulders hurts

Ulysses Thu 25-Nov-10 16:51:34

It may have gone into a chest infection by now, as what has happened to me.

I got a fright last Friday cause I feel asleep on the sofa and woke up with a consistent coughing fit that lasted about 20 mins solid.

I am now on a second set of antibiotics to get rid of it and it is getting. It's maybe worthwhile getting checked out with the doctors.

FWIW, things that suppress coughs aren't that much good in the long run because they're not allowing you to cough up phlegm (eugh!).

I also got one of those spray things that goes at the back of the throat to help relieve the pain from that.

Hope you feel better soon, I know how rubbish it is and its been keeping DH awake at night for days as well.

Ulysses Thu 25-Nov-10 16:53:03

Sorry - xposted. I'm pregnant so paracetamol and the spray thing was all that I could use to relive any symptoms, and it did help with the pain a bit.

riojaguzzler Sun 28-Nov-10 18:53:33

I'm recovering from a similar thing Dis. I left it and it ended up as a chest infection. I agree with Ulysses- go back to the drs. I had pain because all the coughing had pulled some muscles, so they prescribed some co-codamol as well as the amoxycillin. They would help your neck and it knocks you out too, so you get to sleep! Take spoonfuls of honey too! Hope you're sorted soon!

Mummy2Bookie Mon 29-Nov-10 22:43:55

Poor you. I remember a few years ago I had a chest infection. The coughing was so bad I bruised my ribs. That lasted for weeks after the coughing stopped.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 30-Nov-10 09:31:33

Sometimes (if it is a tickly cough caused by post nasal drip) then an antihistamine like clarityn can help.

ppeatfruit Wed 01-Dec-10 09:55:03

Try Acupressure; take thumb and forefinger and press gently for 10 counts then massage for the same time either side of yr adam's apple. Cont..

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: