Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Migraine everyday, what has worked for you?

(10 Posts)
Spotsanddots Thu 25-Nov-10 15:42:33

I have been getting a migraine every night for the past two weeks. I am now on propranolol which should prevent them but what can do in the mean time? The head ache comes on around one am and lasts for about 2 hours or more. I have some triptans (maxalt melt) but these cannot be used every day(only 2-3 times a week) . I have tried paracetemol and ibuprofen, but these wont touch it. I tend to put a damp flannel on my head and just wait till it goes and then i can get to sleep. My trigger for migraines tends to be when i am tired or run down and now they just wont stop at all. I am hoping the propranolol will kick in soon, but would love to hear any thing that has worked for you. I have a 5 year old and 19 month and am shattered, any tips would be great

puzzlepetal Thu 25-Nov-10 16:04:07

Have you had your neck checked out? Cervical spine problems can manifest themselves as migraine type pain. Are your pillows too high or too low? The only things that help my migraines are lots of fluids, cocodamol, complete darkness and sleep. I appreciate that sleep is not always an option with a young child. Sorry can't be more helpful.

cath476 Thu 25-Nov-10 16:17:12

I had amytriptaline as a preventative and it worked for me, went from daily to about 2 a month. I also had Naramig (triptan) and I didn't like that - I have yet to find a successful treatment once the migraine has started!

Spotsanddots Thu 25-Nov-10 16:40:46

Thanks ladies, yes seeing a chiropractor to check my neck, will get some co codamol from pharmacy tomorrow, think that will be better. The doc mentioned amytrip to me if the proprranolol do not work. Thanks for that

wonka Thu 25-Nov-10 16:58:13

betablockers!

vanitypear Fri 26-Nov-10 20:54:49

Do you drink buckets of water? My Ms weren't nearly so bad, but it worked for me. Good luck. They suck.

nameymcnamechange Fri 26-Nov-10 20:56:15

Do you have an low-energy lightbulbs in your house?

Google it. They are a major culprit in migraine.

Elk Fri 26-Nov-10 21:03:17

Syndol or Boots Tension headache relief are good painkillers, but they do make you drowsy (they send me to sleep as if I'd just hit a brick wall)

atyourservice Sat 27-Nov-10 00:52:40

Migraleve or syndol but Migraleve pink have an anti nausea ingredient so they are the best. I hate migraines not least because people who don't get them have no idea how bad the pain is.

When my son was younger the broken sleep brought them on and would often be in tears with the pain.

Hope you find something that works soon

catwalker Sun 28-Nov-10 00:12:18

Zomig - only available on prescription. Or Imigran - available on prescription but can be bought over the counter at something ridiculous like £8 for one tablet.

I soldiered on for years with over the counter remedies which didn't really work very well until a pharmacist said there were lots of very effective medicines my gp could prescribe. Zomig and Imigran almost always work for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now