Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Severe ear infections - in adults!

(9 Posts)
Stardown Tue 23-Nov-10 22:56:28

I suffer from chronic ear infections, always bacterial, usually on one side of the ear.

Amoxicillin does nothing for me, I always am put on Ciprofloxacin and always the higher 500mg dose. It clears up within a few days, but invariably will get very bad infections at least 3-4 times a year.

Is there anything I can do to prevent them or make them easier on me? I don't use in-ear headphones, cotton buds, stick fingers in ears or anything else, wear hats when weather is cool, try to be healthy although diet could be improved blush. I had them syringed in the States last summer, didn't seem to have any effect.

Am having a particularly nasty one right now, doctor said it is very, very bad sad and if Cipro doesn't clear it up in a few days to come back as he might need to do something else.

Stardown Tue 23-Nov-10 22:57:33

Sorry - not one side of the ear, usually in the right ear grin, a few times have had in the left though. Only had a double ear infection once.

Also forgot to say - never had ANY as a child, none as an adolescent, started up 3 years ago age 20 and now are a constant presence sad

alypaly Wed 24-Nov-10 00:00:37

they make a ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone ear drop for bacterial infections. Or has your gp tried sofradex drops which are also very good for stubborn ear infections.

you should not have your ears syringed if you have a current ear infection. GP s and nureses are reluctant to syringe ears as it can cause more problems and strips the ear drum of its natural defences.

Stardown Wed 24-Nov-10 00:43:40

Hi aly thanks for your reply. I had some ear drops before which actually inflamed the ear and made it 100x more painful so I always request no drops.

The syringing was between infections - hadn't had one for about 4 months by this point. I had hoped it would get rid of some bacteria but interesting to hear your point of view.

KittyFloss Wed 24-Nov-10 01:42:56

Ooh poor you, I have had a few ear infections as an adult and they are damn painfull. I think the default/first lot of drops they give you are horrible. Every time they have hurt and made it worse. I now tell them to give me oral anti-b's and the second lot of drops they try, which do actually work.

Can you ask for a referal if it's several times a year? That's a lot of infections to put up with.

connectthedots Sun 25-Sep-11 16:31:27

Stardown, I just joined-- have the same trouble with my ears and history (and unsuccessful treatments) as you... did you ever find a solution?

Keziahhopes Sun 25-Sep-11 17:40:28

Hi I have this problem and I have an antibiotic cream applied in the infected ear by an ENT nurse each time which helps. The ENT people say drops slide off, so not so useful; I don't need to see a consultant, just the nurse that does such things. I can't remember the make but perhaps an option for your GP?

Cwm Sun 25-Sep-11 17:47:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

40notTrendy Sun 25-Sep-11 17:52:52

I suffered like you in my late teens/ early 20s. I ended up having my (also right) ear packed with a special cloth soaked in presumably anti biotic/bacterial/septic lotion for weeks. Memory a but hazy now (booze, pregnancy, breastfeeding and no sleep since dcwink) so may not have been that long, but it stopped the horrifically painful infections. I have had one or two since but they have responded to antibiotics better. Do you have any other skin conditions that could be linked? I get a flaky scalp when I am stressed which may have been the cause apparently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now