Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mooncups?

(12 Posts)
A1980 Tue 23-Nov-10 18:50:24

I've decided to give it a try. I haven't bought one yet.

Are they difficult to manage at work, we only have stalls with no basin next to you. Do they need changing less often than tampons?

RuthChan Tue 23-Nov-10 21:23:36

The official mooncup company advice is that they should be emptied every 4-8 hours.
However, it really depends on the individual and the stage in your period you're at.
Personally, I empty mine twice a day, once in the morning and once before bed, but people with heavier periods will need to empty theirs more often. A mooncup can contain up to 30ml of liquid, which is quite a lot.

With regards to the lack of basins at work.
It is sufficient to empty the contents of the cup into the loo, wipe it out with loo paper and then replace it. You can then give it a more thorough wash on returning home.
This may not suit everyone, it really is a very personal issue...

barbarapym Tue 23-Nov-10 21:29:43

Same as Ruthchan - usually get away with twice a day, and have never yet had to change it at work. Takes a bit of getting used to, but I have been using mine for a year and would never go back to tampons.

AuntieMaggie Tue 23-Nov-10 21:37:37

Yes you can change it less than a tampon - esp as you don't wee on the string!

I change mine a couple of times a day and my periods can be heavy. We have the same toilets at work and i just sit further back on the toilet, empty it in the toilet between my legs wipe with loo roll and put it back in. I rinse it off when I'm at home but then I'm lucky my sink is just about arms reach from the toilet!

I was a bit anxious about using one but I took the plunge and am very glad I did!

SO my advice would be to buy one and have a go when you aren't having a period and see how you get on.

A1980 Tue 23-Nov-10 22:17:28

Thanks

Has anyone ever dropped it down the loo by accident? grin

I guess baby wipes are in order in the stall too as it must make a mess emptying it?

RuthChan Wed 24-Nov-10 18:35:29

No, I've never dropped. It isn't actually very slippy rubber, so I've never been too worried about that.
You probably won't need the baby wipes.
When you remove it, it comes out vertical, so the contents remain inside and it's not hard to avoid spilling them. You can then pour them into the loo without much difficulty and without any mess.
I've been using one for 11 years and can't imagine ever using a tampon again.
It does take a little time and practice to get used to it, but it's well worth it.
One tip is to insert it while you're in the shower. You have to be careful not to get any water in it, but your body is wet, so it slips in more easily.
Another thing is to try it the first few times when the house is empty. You don't need the stress of worrying that someone is going to walk in you.

ilovehens Wed 24-Nov-10 18:51:29

Mine leaked all over the place because of periods being too heavy, and the first time I inserted it on a test run I experienced a huge cramp and then found that my IUD threads had completely retracted confused

The first time I wore one during a period dh took me out for lunch and I visited the ladies and found blood smears across my trousers confused

Went into the bathroom one evening to find ds1 drinking water out of it!!!!!! shock

It went in the bin after that grin

whoknowswhatthefutureholds Wed 24-Nov-10 18:59:15

you don't need wetwipes - loo paper far more effective.

I seriously love mine, took about 3 months to get used to, and didnt rate it at first, now I will neever go back to tampax.

A1980 Wed 24-Nov-10 23:07:56

Thanks! I bought got one today. I wasn't sure of the size to buy as I'm right on the age line at age 30. I do alot of yoga, pilates etc and so am fairly toned. I was advised to bet the smaller size B, thank goodness as size A looked huge.

I don't quite have my period yet but it's beginning to start so I thought it's best to try now. It wasn't hard to get in at all (I'm not sure if you're supposed to but I but I put a tiny bit of KY jelly on it). But I feel a little sore now. Is that normal?

Can I leave it in as I seem to be getting my period or should I take it out and wait until I get it gets heavier?

RuthChan Thu 25-Nov-10 11:06:29

If the B size leaks you know you should try the A. If it doesn't leak, you're ok.

You can use non petroleum lubrication. Personally, I have always used water if necessary. Just making it or yourself slightly wet is usually enough.
It's also a practice thing.

If you're feeling a bit sore, that could be due to the struggle to get it in for the first time. Otherwise it could indicate that it's in the wrong position. Is it too low?
Did you cut the 'tail'? Most people need to for comfort. The tail is not actually a handle and isn't really necessary to remove the cup, so many people cut it very short or off completely for comfort reasons.

Hawkmoth Thu 25-Nov-10 11:13:47

Be aware that you might need to flush twice when you empty as the contents can stay in the bottom of the toilet bowl.

I once dropped mine on myself when drunk! Luckily was wearing black trousers so could scuttle home almost unscathed.

thefentiger Sun 28-Nov-10 20:52:06

Ive used mine for last 3 years-brilliant!

Have not had to buy any sanitary towels or tampons as I also made some pantyliners and a few sanitary towels for really heavy days/nights.
I have very heavy periods on days2/3 and empty every 4 hours-very few problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now