Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

I think my friend might be an alcoholic

(4 Posts)
Tootiredforgodtyping Tue 23-Nov-10 09:40:05

I think my friend might be an alcoholic. We live in a close together, she lives opposite to me and our two other friends come down the road. She frequently smells of booze as early as 4pm, and quite often comes round our houses in the early evening seemingly pissed, stumbling, slurring her words and being erratic in her behaviour.

We don't know what to do, we want to help her, but are worried she'll push us away if we say anything.

What should we do?

cumfy Tue 23-Nov-10 12:09:01

Your description seems to indicate very strongly that she is alcoholic.

Has she been like this for long ?

Who does she live with ?

Try to be supportive and possibly suggest to her she seems "a bit down" recently. She might talk about underlying issues, and open the conversation up a bit.

But be aware that, that itself might raise uncomfortable issues that may be difficult for you to deal with.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 23-Nov-10 13:52:47

I would talk to Al-anon as they may be helpful to you. There is a fine line between being supportive and enabling. I take it as read that none of you drink alcohol around this woman.

I would also ask who she lives with; perhaps you can also talk to this person as well.

Tootiredforgodtyping Tue 23-Nov-10 14:04:27

She has a seemingly happy marriage with a husband and two children in year 5 and year 7. She is very capable during the day. She is already on anti - depressants due to have to resign because of occupational stress. She's been like this since we've know her (2 years) but has got a lot worse recently

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: