Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can I alternate co-dydramol with nurofen back pain tablets?

(16 Posts)
bigchris Mon 22-Nov-10 14:18:33

Does anyone know?
Thanks

WowOoo Mon 22-Nov-10 14:23:20

What's in them?
Isn't it codeine based with codeine that you'd be alternating?

What about codydramol with paracetamol?

(disclaimer: I don't know either. Read the packs if you have them)

bigchris Mon 22-Nov-10 14:25:25

The codydramol just says it contains paracetmol so alrernsting paracetmol and ibrofen? Don't know if nurofen has paracetmol in too

they also expired in September so don't know if I should

TheChewyToffeeMum Mon 22-Nov-10 14:25:40

You can... but to get the most effective pain relief you should take paracetamol based analgesics (like co-dydramol) 4 times daily and Ibuprofen (ie Nurofen) 3 times daily. If you don't need/want to take both regularly you would be better off taking one of them regularly than both less often. IFYSWIM!

festivefriedawhingesagain Mon 22-Nov-10 14:25:56

If the nurofen back pain tablets contain ibuprofen only, yes you can alternate them with co dydramol

Do not alternate codydramol with paracetamol as you would be overdosing on paracetamol.

Are you on any other tablets?

bigchris Mon 22-Nov-10 14:27:19

No not on any other tablets
thanks for replying
don't know what I've done, got up off the floor awkwardly and have shooting pains all down left side of body
and have school run to do sad

TheChewyToffeeMum Mon 22-Nov-10 14:28:52

To clarify:

Co-dydramol contains paracetamol + a codeine-type ingredient.

Standard Nurofen contains only ibuprofen.

They are safe in combination.

bigchris Mon 22-Nov-10 14:31:21

Does it matter there expiry date is September 2010 do you think?

PavlovtheCat Mon 22-Nov-10 14:40:34

When I hurt my back a couple of months ago, my gp prescribed paracetamol (1000mg x 4 daily), codeine (10mg x 4 daily) and ibruprofen 400mg x 3 daily),

so a codeine/paracetamol based product and ibruprofen would be fine as long as you stay within the maximum doses for each - they work on different receptors so do slightly different things - i think paracetamol/codeine is a pain reliever while ibruprofen is an inflammation reducer.

I don't think expiry of Sept '10 would make a difference tbh, most that would happen is the effect would reduce? someone else would tell you more about that i am sure.

bigchris Mon 22-Nov-10 14:48:32

Thanks Pavlov I think I'll take them

TheChewyToffeeMum Mon 22-Nov-10 14:55:50

Yeah - ignore the expiry date - most meds last for years before they deteriorate. (I am a GP BTW)

PavlovtheCat Mon 22-Nov-10 15:01:01

hope your back feels better soon and it is nothing serious.

bigchris Mon 22-Nov-10 18:44:19

Oh really? Thanks chewy! I survived the school run but it's no better. Just want to go to bed tbh but don't know whether lying down for twelve hours will make it worse?

ChilledChick2 Mon 22-Nov-10 21:12:43

Co-dydramol and nurofen can be taken together or alternately, but if you look at the pack of nurofen, you'll probably find that the active ingredient is ibuprofen and the dose is usually 200mg (exception is nurofen migraine which has 342mg ibuprofen lyseine). Instead of paying £1.40+ for nurofen, you could just buy a pack of say, Tesco/Asda own brand ibuprofen for about 30p. As long as the active ingredient is the same at the same dosage, you just end up paying a good bit more for a brand name.

TheChewyToffeeMum Tue 23-Nov-10 08:18:25

Are you feeling any better BigChris?

Sometimes these things feels worse the next day (after lying down for a time). Try and keep moving and keep taking the painkillers.

And, ChilledChick is right - buy generic ibuprofen, it's the same stuff.

WowOoo Tue 23-Nov-10 10:22:11

bigchris - Am very glad someone else came along to advise!

So glad I told you I did not know either! (My pain was over a year ago) Now I do thanks to ChewyToffee.

Hope you're feeling better and been able to keep moving.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now