Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

prisoner of my menstrual cycle

(5 Posts)
Renaissancewoman Sun 21-Nov-10 11:25:01

Does anyone else get this? Or have any suggestions?

I am 39, very fit and generally healthy, had 3 kids.

Every month after ovulation and about 10 days before my period I feel really crap for about 1 week. I get coldsores, extreme fatigue, often get a cold or similar kind of viral thing. The mood swings and bloating and general PMT type symptoms are OK but my immunity plummets and I just feel ill.

I am trying to really monitor my cycle and up iron and vitamin c levels in anticipation of the assault on my immune system but just can't seem to beat it.

It feels like I'm losing a quarter of my life to this.

Thinking about mirena coil or going back on the pill to regulate my hormone levels but I generally like to avoid stuff like that.

I've been tested for anaemia and thyroid problems but came back all clear. Doctors seem unable to suggest any solution.

orangeflutie Sun 21-Nov-10 17:52:25

Hi I haven't suffered from what you describe but sympathise as I've had problems with PMT and heavy periods.

You've mentioned you take vitamin C and your iron levels are OK. Perhaps you could try other supplements such as Vitamin B6 and maybe try a course of Echinacea which can help boost immunity.

Hope this helps.

topsi Sun 21-Nov-10 18:37:22

Think magnesium is supposed to be good. Have a look at general PMS remedies on the internet. My sister had a good response with vitamins and St Johns Wort.

ChilledChick2 Sun 21-Nov-10 21:43:20

Magnesium and evening primrose oil (EPO) are supposed to be good together during your period.

A long standing friend uses a multivitamin and multimineral complex, soya isoflavones (normally used by menopausal women) and swears by them. I have seen a huge change in her from being a mardy ball of raging hormones to being calm and laid-back (almost anaesthetised).

Renaissancewoman Mon 22-Nov-10 09:34:03

Thanks for the magnesium references. Just looked at magnesium stuff on the internet and think it sounds promising, off to get some now!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: