Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

So so worried for my DM

(15 Posts)
sherby Sat 20-Nov-10 19:05:16

She has had 'things' wrong for a while

-swelling in her abdomen
-dizzy spells
-tiredness (sleeping nearly 5/6 hrs a day and all night)
-she has put on tons of weight, up from 8st to 11st in 3 months!
- 3 bouts of anemia in the last 6 mths

She recently visited and I was shocked at her appearence tbh. She looked 6 months pregnant. She was falling asleep the whole time she was here and even during a conversation in the car she couldn't keep her eyes open.

She had told her GP that she though her tummy was getting bigger and was told it was more than likely just middle age, although they did send her for a pelvic ultrasound which was normal.

She called me up yesterday to say that she had been back to the GP that morning because when she lies down now she has a mass/lump? actually protruding under her ribs on the right hand side shock. Her stomach is rock hard and she is in quite a bit of pain with it.

The GP felt around and said 'no sorry that absoloutly isn't right. She said she can definatly feel a mass there and at the size it is 'it is more than likely cancerous' WTF!!! WHY would a GP say that? Could she really know that just from one exam?

Obviously my DM is very very upset and worried. But has been told to 'phone this number on monday and make an urgent appointment'. I just don't get any of this at all, if she has a mass in her abdomen and the GP can feel it, why aren't they admitting her now? Why didn't anyone feel it before hand?

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice, this is starting to sound like one of those DMail stories about people going to the doctor 30 times before they find out they are riddled with cancer

sherby Sat 20-Nov-10 19:06:41

Sorry for the poorly written OP, breastfeeding and typing with one hand!

sherby Sat 20-Nov-10 19:48:00

sharbie Sat 20-Nov-10 19:55:00

no advice but sounds awful for your poor mum.hope you get seen by someone on monday and find out what your mum is dealing with.

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 20-Nov-10 21:51:02

Message withdrawn

sherby Sun 21-Nov-10 01:03:38

Thanks for replies, she had her ovaries scanned about 2 months ago and the sonographer said they looked perfectly healthy.

The mass seems to be under her ribcage on the right hand side. I have spoken with her again this evening and have arranged to ring her on Monday morning to make sure she gets up in time to ring the hospital (she has been sleeping until 11/12)

I will keep you updated as I hear anything smile

ShanahansRevenge Sun 21-Nov-10 14:21:44

I hope it all turns out ok...the doctor should not have said that....it would panic the calmest of people!

It COULD be a cyst or benign growth....they are very common...I hope it turns out to be fine....my own Mum has had a few scares I know how it feels.

sherby Mon 22-Nov-10 13:38:25

Just a quick update

After taking two buses to the hospital ( she is not allowed to drive because of the dizzyness), she had her bloods taken. But when she called the number the GP gave her was told that the doctor should not have given her the number for the rapid appts clinic and that she would have to go back to the GP and get her to refer her angry

So she is now on the bus back to the GP surgery to try to get the GP to refer her...

21again Mon 22-Nov-10 14:11:47

Oh im so sorry to hear about your mum..do let us know how she gets on..it makes you so mad to think something that is showing with such symptoms can be missed...everything crossed for you and your lovely mum x

sherby Mon 22-Nov-10 14:43:32

Another quick one...

After speaking to her GP it seems she can't make an appt until they receive the paperwork which apparently was faxed on Friday.

So call back tomorrow and we will try and fit you in within the next two weeks angry

How can you tell someone they have 'something very wrong' in the GPs words and then expect them to wait two effing weeks

Elibean Mon 22-Nov-10 16:24:08

That sounds appalling (the way she is being delayed/handed around), I'm so sorry - both for her, and for you sadangry

I don't know what to suggest, tbh...unless she can pay for private apt., I suppose. If she develops any new symptom, she could maybe go to A&E and be assessed there? Is she in pain?

Fingers crossed they receive the paperwork first thing tomorrow, and fit her in straight away angry

sherby Tue 23-Nov-10 13:43:16

She has finally got an appointment tomorrow! At the rapid response clinic, not sure what that is, but at least she is getting somewhere!

sharbie Tue 23-Nov-10 15:20:09

fingers crossed then

ConstanceFelicity Tue 23-Nov-10 15:24:42

Oh dear. Have been through this, know just how you feel. Huge hugs.

My grandfather (78 y o)had been hiding a huge lump by his neck, and once we noticed it, it seemed to grow vey quickly until it was almost as big as a baby's head.
However, after about 3 sessions of chemo, it had totally gone! He hasn't had the all-clear yet, but the signs are good.

What I'm trying to say is, just because it's a big mass, doesn't mean it's untreatable.

sherby Wed 24-Nov-10 16:54:49

Well that appointment seems to have been a perfect waste of time

- no blood test results back, in fact they didn't even know she had had bloods taken

- they agreed with the GP that something is wrong with her stomach and in their words it is 'very distended'

- offered her an appointment for an endoscopy sometime in the next month 'hopefully'

angry

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: