Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Any GP's on here that could please please help me

(26 Posts)
Irisheyes78 Sat 20-Nov-10 11:59:14

I don't want to post what my problem is but will pm if a gp responds. I'm getting different advice form different health professionals and at this stage am desperate for advice.

Please help

expatinscotland Sat 20-Nov-10 12:02:12

You need to see a GP. It's really unwise to expect help like this on the internet, you may get a bogus responder.

Also, a particular one is unlikely to respond because there might be legal ramifications.

lisad123isgoingcrazy Sat 20-Nov-10 12:06:15

you have to go and see a RL GP

Irisheyes78 Sat 20-Nov-10 12:17:16

I already have and each one either rushes me or tells me something different form the other, so frustrating.

Yes, had thought of someone responding just being nosy to find out what my problem is.

Not sure why a GP would not respond due to legal ramifications.....

expatinscotland Sat 20-Nov-10 12:19:22

Because you are basically asking them to treat you/diagnose you online without having seen you, Irish. Or even knowing you.

If they get it wrong, it's all there in print.

I can't imagine very many jumping up to do something like this, tbh.

Try seeing another GP or even seeing a private one.

Irisheyes78 Sat 20-Nov-10 12:30:12

No, you are wrong expat, I'm not asking them to diagnose me as I have already been diagnosed.

In my post I asked for advice and not a diagnosis.

If a gp responds to my thread I will be able to "discuss" with them my problem and ask for advice without being rushed as they have to move on to the next patient.

"Try seeing another GP or even seeing a private one." Why have I not thought of this already!

HouseOfBamboo Sat 20-Nov-10 12:31:32

Might it be helpful to make brief bullet point notes of the conflicting advice you've been given? You could then go back and see the health professional who you feel most comfortable with and show them what you have written.

Clearly explain to them why you feel confused and see if they can offer further help?

expatinscotland Sat 20-Nov-10 14:10:55

Getting arsey isn't exactly going to endear anyone to helping you.


expatinscotland Sat 20-Nov-10 14:11:57

Most GP's are also self-employed and probably not inclined to work for free.

All the ones I know work a lot of hours as it is.

Might do well to start a thread asking for recommendations for a private GP or specialist in your area.

Irisheyes78 Sat 20-Nov-10 15:58:17

I wasn't being arsey, just pointing out that I had not asked for a diagnosis but for advice.

A genuine GP would give advice without charging a fee self employed or not.

If you have nothing helpful to add.....

expatinscotland Sat 20-Nov-10 16:07:18

Two of us have suggested strategies.

It's honestly not for you to dictate how one posts or if he/she should post.

You're not doing yourself a lot of favours here.

Best of luck.

BlockedPoster Sat 20-Nov-10 16:13:33

I think you should name change and post the problem. Chances are, you'll find someone here who has the same problem and may be able to shed some light.

You do sound rather arsey tbh. You only want advice from GPs when the rest of mn is a mine of useful information, and if your problem is at all unusual, you may find that GPs on here have little experience of it (I'm guessing that might be what's going on already) so an expert patient is your best bet imo.

What youre saying is, the HCP in rl have let you down, but the ones on the internet might get it right?

BlockedPoster Sat 20-Nov-10 16:14:14

I was just thinking there's been a bit of arseyness on here in the last few days and what do you know? Full moon. grin

Irisheyes78 Sat 20-Nov-10 16:15:14

HOB Yes that sounds like a good idea.

I have an appointment in just under two weeks so will write down exactly what I want to know.

Have seen 2 Doctors at the same surgey, one is very lovely and gives you the time you need, while the other just talks over me and looks at her watch.

Ecpat, asking for recommendations or a specialist in my area not a ood idea as I have rl friends on here and they would know exactly what I wanted to talk to a Doctor about.

I think I'm allowed to say that I'm not being arsey. Not very helpful to be told I am. Perhaps you are just having a bad day.

PamelaFlitton Sat 20-Nov-10 16:17:05

For God's sake, if you think it's a real emergency go to A&E. Or just post asking for general responses. Or go back to the GP(s) you saw asking for clarification

Irisheyes78 Sat 20-Nov-10 16:21:01

I posted my thread as I had seen a similar one where a GP replied and thought I would give it a try.

I have 3 children under 4 and getting to the Doctor is very difficult and also costs a fortune.

Irisheyes78 Sat 20-Nov-10 16:23:51

I can't believe so many of you are getting so mardy about my post.

I have not suggested it's an emergency. I simply posted if there was a GP who would give me some advice.

BlockedPoster Sat 20-Nov-10 16:26:25

Do you think we're getting 'mardy' because of the tone of your posts?

Irisheyes78 Sat 20-Nov-10 16:31:23

Not my intention to get into a slanging match.

If a GP does have a nose at my thread I would appreciate some advice.

MiasmARGGG Sat 20-Nov-10 16:32:08

So, what's wrong with you ?

Is it to do with your vagina/labia/arsehole/bowels/sexual dysfunction/warts/smell/pnd/neuroses ?

I'll guarantee we've heard it all before.

Irisheyes78 Sat 20-Nov-10 16:38:03

None of the above.

BooBooGlass Sat 20-Nov-10 16:40:34

How will you verify that the weirdo person who PMs you is a GP?

Lulumaam Sat 20-Nov-10 16:41:04

I also imagine thre would be an MNer who has had the asme thing..

why not just name change, leave it for a bit, and then start a thread saying what your condition is and asking for advice from fellow sufferers and HCPs/GPs?

having had majorly conflicting advice about two fairly embarassing medical issues ( mental health and bowel issues ) i can udnersatnd why you are reluctant but no GP worh thteir salt would start an online correspondence advising you about your health without meeting and examinig you

KurriKurri Sat 20-Nov-10 16:44:53

I would second the suggestion of writing bullet points of the various info you've been given, and telling the GP they conflict and are therefore confusing.

Other things you might try are booking a double appointment, so you are given more time to talk over your problem.

Taking an advocate in with you - a friend or family member who can help you get your points across.

It is easy and natural to get upset and frustrated when you feel you are not being listened to by a doctor, and then you may occasionally unwittingly come across as being awkward, when it is actually anxiety. So I think writing thing down, having support, and then being quite calm but politely assertive about your needs at your appointment may stand you in good stead. Best of luck - I hope you get the help you are looking for.

Irisheyes78 Sat 20-Nov-10 16:47:55

As I had seen a GP giving advice on another thread I thought it might be worth a try.

I have been reading up on it on the internet and the suggested websites so things are a bit clearer now even though some of the info is still conflicting I suppose I just have to be satisfied.

Normally I wouldn't be so guarded but as my rl friends lurk on here I didn't want to give too much away.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: