Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Implanon (contraceptive implant) side effects

(7 Posts)
whatagradeA Sat 20-Nov-10 11:23:39

I just wanted to share my experience with this as I've had a very unhappy year with it and am feeling so much better now I've had it taken out.

I couldn't find all my symptons in one place when I searched for info but there are other people who've had the same/similar issues.

I didn't have any periods for the first 8 months which was great but then I started having spotting and eventually 6 weeks of bleeding which was stopped by a couple of months on the pill but started again when I stopped the pill.

But the main thing was the emotional side. I totally lost my sex drive. I could just about bear it every so often, but would've happily done without. This was really sad for me and probably quite hard on DH. I spent most of the time putting it down to DS being small and bf but within 2 weeks of having it out I feel totally differently and it's great! (Won't share too much info wink)

I was also starting to suffer from anxiety, I think. When I had something that would usually give me nervous butterflies for an hour or so, I was starting to feel sick/dread in the pit of my stomach all day, and that was not like me at all.

I felt really vacant and struggled to follow conversations. Nothing heavy, just toddler's mum stuff but I felt like I couldn't concentrate. Same with the F1 (huge fans in this house!!) I just couldn't follow a race.

I was being a shouty old bag with the children. That's not unusual in itself blush but was getting more frequent. I was being horrible to them every day sad

I'm not totally slating it. I know it suits some people and wouldn't say don't have it. I know people react differently. I just wanted to put it on here so that if anyone searches and is feeling the same they will find someone who was in the same boat and now feels like a new woman!!

I was terrified to have it out in case the way I was feeling was just the new me after 2 children (I had it in when DC2 was about 6 months and still not sleeping!)

So anyway, sorry for the mammoth post, but hope this helps someone.

Neweastlondonmum Sun 04-Sep-11 22:46:55

Oh thank you so much for posting this - I've had an implant in since DD was 4 months old and have had most of those symptoms but have been putting them down to bf and being a new mum, but having stopped bf a month ago and DD generally doing ok I've been worrying that this is just the new nervy / anxious / unable-to-relax / low-sex-drive me. Will make an appointment to see my gp tomorrow. Thank you again!

lubeybooby Sun 04-Sep-11 22:49:53

I have very similar things minus the loss of sex drive. That's very interesting re: the anxiety, I have been exactly the same and not known what's going on at all, I didn't connect the two.

My period stopped for 2 months but I've bled for most of August and into this month, pretty fed up now so I think i will get it removed. Damned thing.

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Sun 04-Sep-11 22:53:26

Ugh! The first couple of months after I had it put in I became a total nutcase. After a drink or two I would get weepy for no reason - hugely embarrassing. I also put on about 2 fucking stone. I had it for 2 years, then had it replaced, then had the next one for 2 years.
I've had it out for about 2 years now - I naively thought I'd magically lose the weight - I didn't.

I'm now on the jab, which has worse symptoms. Zero sex drive. And also dryness during sex, but nurse insists this isnt a listed sympton of depo jab :-( I may go back to the implant, even tho I HATED having it put in.

KilledBill Mon 05-Sep-11 13:21:41

I have a friend who since having this implant has changed, I and others have noticed, shes argued with half her neighbours, screams at the kids and generally goes a bit psychotic. I have tried to gently raise the issue of the implant with her but when she finally went back and asked the nurse told her if she hasnt gained weight then she isnt suffering side effects?! Barmy. I personally dont believe there is side effect free hormonal contraception.

VelvetSnow Mon 05-Sep-11 13:34:50

I'm new to the implant and still trying to decipher what my 'effects' actually are.

Since having the implant about 3 months ago.....

I have spotting everyday but have had no period iyswim.
I have put on a little weight, but that could be down to the fact that I just like cake and takeaway food? (size 12 up to size 14)
I am very spotty all of a sudden, around the chin area.
I get very sweaty.
I have had a radical (for me) hairstyle change and image change - caused by a sudden depression about the way I looked.

Taking all the above into account I feel I am managing it quite well and can honestly say I'm not regretting it so far.

I have not become moody, or I have not lost my sex drive.

lubeybooby Tue 06-Sep-11 15:08:24

Another day of terrible period pain and bleeding. I had made an appointment for next week to have it removed but I've brought it forward to Friday, earliest they can do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now