Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

swelling with catheter in, anyone experience?

(14 Posts)
sleepingsowell Sat 20-Nov-10 10:52:28

This is a bit of a long shot but am asking for a male relative who's just had abdominal surgery and been discharged home with a catheter in place - he has got a really swollen penis...Dr has been out and said that this is normal post op swelling but I know he's still concerned as has been taking anti inflammatories and can't quite see why it is swollen today when the OP was about 3 days ago.
Hope some one may be able to help xx

blinks Sat 20-Nov-10 10:56:06

does he have a district nurse coming in? when did GP examine him?

sleepingsowell Sat 20-Nov-10 10:59:34

GP saw him this morning, only a couple of hours ago - I guess we should believe the GP but obviously it's scary for him!

blinks Sat 20-Nov-10 11:01:23

what was the surgery? swelling is normal but if he becomes more unwell eg temperature/discharge/increasing swelling, you need to get him reassessed.

sleepingsowell Sat 20-Nov-10 11:04:39

thanks blinks - surgery was on Tues or Weds. He's got no pain or discharge or temp. Apart from looking terrified he looks ok!

TheLogLady Sat 20-Nov-10 11:06:06

it could be phimosis - if the foreskin isn't pulled back over the end it gets really swollen and oedematous.

i think he probably needs to be looked at again.

sleepingsowell Sat 20-Nov-10 11:11:37

thanks - I will check with him...

blinks Sat 20-Nov-10 11:11:47

most likely GP would have picked up on that TLL.

sleepingsowell Sat 20-Nov-10 11:19:09

Is it blinks? I would have hoped that the GP would know about that condition but it's hard to have faith when you have a scared relative in front of you!

sleepingsowell Sat 20-Nov-10 11:20:24

by the way thanks so much for the replies, wasn't sure I would get any - MN is great!

blinks Sat 20-Nov-10 12:06:53

google phimosis and click on images instead of web. it has a pretty distinctive presentation. it's unlikely GP would have missed it and it'd be a huge coincidence that it developed the same time as this operation... more likely it's swelling that will pass with anti-inflammatory meds and time.

if he has a catheter he might have district nurses coming in? what kind of catheter is it? is it supra-pubic?

TheLogLady Sat 20-Nov-10 12:15:15

not a coincidence as to put in the catheter the foreskin needs pulling back, then if it's not pulled back over the end fully it swells and gets stuck then swells more. so a possibility.(think its actually called paraphimosis)

sleepingsowell Sat 20-Nov-10 12:40:20

Yes he has district nurses coming in so you would hope that ALL the various nurses and GP would not look at his swelling and not realise if it was paraphimosis! I will direct him to look at googled photos though just to set his mind at rest. Thank you so much all. x

blinks Sat 20-Nov-10 12:43:52

good idea... the district nurse will know whether or not it's needing reassessed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now