Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

horrible diarroeha(sp) while on period

(24 Posts)
OracleInaCoracle Sat 20-Nov-10 10:48:52

ok, so ive mis-spelt it but ive not slept due to my horrendous stomach ache all night. I normally have an iffy tummy while on my period but this is ridiculous, i actually feel dehydrated because of it. my period was a week late and is very heavy, painful and dark (dont want to think about it not being a period iykwim) does anyone else get this? should i be worried?

OracleInaCoracle Sat 20-Nov-10 10:59:46

?

OracleInaCoracle Sat 20-Nov-10 11:19:23

anyone? feel a little queasy too.

notnowbernard Sat 20-Nov-10 11:22:44

I have in the past had really heavy periods (not every time, but sometimes). During some of them the period cramping has been so intense and painful it has given me diarrhoea, yes

BangingNoise Sat 20-Nov-10 11:23:03

I do. It's normal, or so I was told by a GP a long time ago. I guess if it is anything more than a period then it is sorting itself out anyway.

Haggisfish Sat 20-Nov-10 11:23:18

I do get a squiffy tummy before my period and it can be quite loose. If your period lasts much longer than normal, go to doc. Is there any chance you might have been pregnant? This is very very common apparently.

festivefriedawhingesagain Sat 20-Nov-10 11:23:53

I know that IBS symptoms can flare up around periods, but there is an awful lot of d & v bugs going around at the moment as well.

Is the pain constant or just cramps before you need to go? Tummy swollen or tender? And are you drinking plenty of fluids/peeing ok?

If you are drinking well and peeing ok v unlikely you are dehydrated but you are obviously feeling rotten - hope it settles soon.

MmeLindt Sat 20-Nov-10 11:26:02

I get this almost every period. After a bit of trial and error, I put it down to lack of iron. When I take iron supplements it is less severe.

Have you been a bit run down recently? Maybe get your iron levels checked.

OracleInaCoracle Sat 20-Nov-10 11:27:19

its entirely possible i was pg but... <sticks head back in sand> ive got pretty much constant stomach/back ache and get awful cramps right before i have to go. am drinking lots of water but i feel bloody awful, really drained but not particularly ill iykwim. doesnt seem like a bug though.

I dont have IBs>

OracleInaCoracle Sat 20-Nov-10 11:27:50

I take iron enyway because Im borderline anaemic

notnowbernard Sat 20-Nov-10 11:30:46

It sounds like a particularly horrible period to me

I know a bit of your history, Lissie, so don't want to speculate too much, IYKWIM

Someone did tell me though that a late period can be worse not because of pg but because the lining has thickened so more is shed, thus making it more painful?

MmeLindt Sat 20-Nov-10 11:34:32

When did you last have your iron levels checked, Lizzie?

Not going to mention the other, but ((hugs)) <hides from MN non-huggers>.

MmeLindt Sat 20-Nov-10 11:34:54

ooop, Lissie not Lizzie. Sorry.

OracleInaCoracle Sat 20-Nov-10 11:41:22

thanks all. last iron check was 2 months ago, i take 2 tablets a day. am having a pyjama/feeling sorry for self day today i think.

duchesse Sat 20-Nov-10 11:43:36

Well Liss there is a tummy bug going around but this sounds different. You haven't actually been sick have you? Whereabouts is the stomach ache? Is it in the stomach or the womb area? Or in the intestines?

amelem Sat 20-Nov-10 11:43:58

Yes my period cramps affect my bowels too. I just regard it as normal-I am finding my periods are getting worse as I am getting older. I find taking an ibuprofen helps, I only take one as find two can make my stomach hurt.

SixtyFootDoll Sat 20-Nov-10 11:44:27

Do you tak Ibuprofen as pain relief?
I find Ibuprofen gives me a really bad tummy.

amelem Sat 20-Nov-10 11:50:05

I just take the occasional one when I am on my period as it really seems to reduce the cramping.

OracleInaCoracle Sat 20-Nov-10 11:52:26

not been sick and ache is around intenstines, womb area feels very warm both internally and to touch. stomach is swollen and hard though. I take paracetamol because i take painkillers for my ribs and ibuprofen reacts with that. but my periods have been all over the place since my last mc in june, very heavy, hormonal hell, erratic etc.

going to ask for basic bloods again, am a bit worried that its my fertility declining rather quickly.

OracleInaCoracle Sat 20-Nov-10 11:57:30

sorry if tmi, but blood is thick and dark too.

MmeLindt Sat 20-Nov-10 13:20:51

Does your GP have an out of hours service? Would you feel better if you talked it over with someone?

I presume that you are seeing a gynae consultant - maybe you could give him a ring and see if you can get an appointment to chat to him.

OracleInaCoracle Sat 20-Nov-10 14:37:13

i have a gynae appt on the 2nd but if i dont feel better soon may call OOH. just had some dry toast and a bit o soup and i eel awul again.

A1980 Sat 20-Nov-10 23:33:45

Is there any chance you have caught a tummy bug too? Tis the season for them.

It's entirely possible to get D&V at the same time as a period, if you've never had it this bad before then that may be it.

OracleInaCoracle Sun 21-Nov-10 16:27:04

noone else in the house has had it and Im ALWAYS the last. tummy has settled down now though, suppose its just another thing to raise in december...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: