Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

How can I get the hospital to tell me anything?

(23 Posts)
sarah293 Fri 19-Nov-10 07:18:44

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Fri 19-Nov-10 07:23:23

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Fri 19-Nov-10 07:45:28

Message withdrawn

TheLogLady Fri 19-Nov-10 07:48:04

she will have been allocated a consultant. find out who and phone their secretry to request a meeting ASAP,

NorthernLurker Fri 19-Nov-10 07:59:26

She will have seen a doctor. Maybe not a consultant but there is no way a woman has sat on a cardiac ward for four days without there being a doctor on the ward at some point. Riven - I know your mother wants to go home but if her heart is poorly she is most probably very scared and also suffering from a lack of oxygen in her blood because the heart isn't working all that well. I spent a lot of time visting an elderly lady after her heart attack and I always found that what she said was happening and what was actually happening were two slightly different things. It makes it very hard to advocate for them because she don't totally know what's happening from either side iyswim.
I agree - ask who her allocated consultant is and ring them up. If nothing else an appointment with a relative will have them quizzing their juniors and heading for her bedside asap. You can get put through from the hosital switchboard. CCU beds are under pressure - if she's been kept in it's becuse she needs to be there, not because they can't be bothered to discharge her.

HeroShrew Fri 19-Nov-10 08:02:37

crikey, that's shocking Riven. 5 days after a heart attack and not even a sniff of a consultant? I'd be tempted to beat down the CEOs door.. But maybe I watch too much Holby City.

sarah293 Fri 19-Nov-10 08:17:21

Message withdrawn

TheLogLady Fri 19-Nov-10 08:22:46

she's probably right and very little does happen at the weekends but anyone who doesn't need to be in over the weekend will be discharged.

if they are thinking angiogram, which would be fairly standard after a heart attack, they may want to keep her in until it's been done.

the risk is she feels better in hospital doing very little, goes home, does something which puts stress on the heart muscle ike cleaning the bathroom or walking upstairs, collapses in a heap with another MI.

until she has an angiogram there is no way anyone can tell what sort of damage has been done and what state her heart blood vessels are in.

and depending on how busy the unit is there will be a wait for a slot in the angio list.

sarah293 Fri 19-Nov-10 08:24:14

Message withdrawn

TheLogLady Fri 19-Nov-10 08:26:19

just depends on the demand i suppose. can the nurses give you no idea how long the wait is? the sister in charge should have a vague idea at least.

sarah293 Fri 19-Nov-10 08:28:34

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Fri 19-Nov-10 08:29:06

Message withdrawn

HRHMcDreamy Fri 19-Nov-10 08:32:15

That is shocking Riven, do you feel brave enough to start making some noise. I think I would. If you go in at 1pm her team will still be on duty before they handover to the on call team so I would ask for the reg to be bleeped. It's worth a try. Hope your mum is home soon sad

sharbie Fri 19-Nov-10 08:35:05

agree with making some noise - good luck hope all goes well.

sarah293 Fri 19-Nov-10 08:36:13

Message withdrawn

TheLogLady Fri 19-Nov-10 08:37:21

also - they'll be jiggling about with different medications and monitoring the effects so even if it looks like nothing is happening it is really.

It's a good idea to see whoever is in charge though. at least they can tell you what the plan is for the next few days.

HRHMcDreamy Fri 19-Nov-10 08:40:09

Really sorry you are going through this Riven, sounds awful sad

marriednotdead Fri 19-Nov-10 08:56:22

Riven, am sorry you are burdened so heavily atm.
I'm glad you've found time to see your GP though.

You have every reason to feel tearful, and a sobfest in the middle of the ward may bring unexpected results IYKWIM.

On a slightly sensible note, have you got any Rescue Remedy? It will take the edge off the (probable) knot in your stomach.

sarah293 Fri 19-Nov-10 12:40:27

Message withdrawn

NorthernLurker Fri 19-Nov-10 17:12:22

any news?

sarah293 Fri 19-Nov-10 20:09:13

Message withdrawn

sharbie Fri 19-Nov-10 21:14:37

glad to hear things ok at the mo and there is a plan in place

marriednotdead Sun 21-Nov-10 21:53:19

Hi Riven, how are things? Fingers crossed it's better news.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: