Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

My Mum ....

(15 Posts)
highhopes2010 Thu 18-Nov-10 13:45:03

My mum went to the doctors yesterday because she has been bleeding and has finished the menopause 2 years ago.Her appointment has already been made with the hospital for next week.I am so worried as the first thing i did was look on the net at bleeding after the menopause and alot of the titles that came up were cancer.I couldnt sleep last night and not feeling great today as i cant eat just yet.Its mental torture having to wait for tests and results.

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 18-Nov-10 14:33:33

I am going to tell you something for your own good now.
DON'T GOOGLE ANYTHING REMOTELY SCARY.
There, I don't think I've ever written anything as long as that in capital letters.
It isn't very comforting, but, her referral has been made, so fingers crossed that her appt. comes through quickly.
Another piece of free advice KEEP YOUR MOTHER OFF THE NET TOO!
Even if it is a cancer of some sort, a lot are very treatable.

AMumInScotland Thu 18-Nov-10 15:04:01

I'll start by seconding what kreecher says - google will always terrify you, even for the tiniest symptom they will list all the rare things it could be.

Not sure if this might be relevant, but after my mum thought she had finished with periods, they started back up again a couple of time after either I or my sister had been to stay with her - something about having us young fertile types around her a lot seemed to nudge her hormones into another little flutter. Though I think it was less than 2 years later in that case.

Anyway, it is very likely to be either something not to worry about, or else if it does turn out to be cancer, the treatments and recovery chances are very much better for lots of cancers than even 10 years ago, so please don't think it will be terrible even if that does turn out to be the diagnosis.

neversaydie Thu 18-Nov-10 15:18:19

Make sure that she goes for the tests.

But my last two widely-spaced periods were after my last smear, and after I was recalled after my first mammogram..

So do have a think about what environmental things might have triggered it.

highhopes2010 Thu 18-Nov-10 19:15:10

thanks so much for advice all.

Naoko Thu 18-Nov-10 22:18:49

Your mum has done the right thing by going to the doctor. It means that even if there is something scary wrong they will catch it and treat it early.

This exact same thing happened to my mum last year - she, too went to the doctor after bleeding a considerable amoutn of time after her last period. She turned out to have a very small patch of cancerous cells in her cervix. Cervical cancer, yes - bloody scary and honestly I have never been so scared and worried in my life but because it was all so small and caught so early my mum is fine now. She had a biopsy to confirm diagnosis and a hysterectomy, and has been given the all clear, with 3 monthly checkups.

Whatever's wrong with your mum is likely to be something minor, and even if it isn't, like with my mum, there are many things they can do. It's frightening and I remember so well how scared and worried I was those first weeks mum was waiting for a diagnosis. Try to remind yourself of the facts and for the love of all that's holy do not Google.

Ishtar2410 Thu 18-Nov-10 22:31:38

Firstly, DON'T GOOGLE.

Secondly, I want to tell you about my mum. She started bleeding early this year. She went to the GP, who referred her to the Gynae people at the hospital. She had a couple of biopsies and they found she had endometrial cancer. She's had a total hysterectomy and some lymph nodes removed. She's going for her third follow up appointment next week and is currently still clear.

Seeing the doctor was the single most important thing your mum could do. You'll get more information next week...just don't Google - in my imagination I already had my mum in a wooden box simply through Googling.

There are lots of other reasons that could cause your mum to bleed. It's terrifying, but wait until you have the facts in front of you.

Just leave Google alone.

highhopes2010 Sat 20-Nov-10 21:35:24

thanks Naoko,Ish.Am so worried i feel like i cant breathe sometimes.i dont even want to write down the things im thinking.but all your words help.

VictoriasLittleKnownSecret Sat 20-Nov-10 21:39:19

I had this after the meno and it was just a bleed.

They do a biopsy (bit like a smear) after the scan if the scan shows any abnormalities (mine did)

VictoriasLittleKnownSecret Sat 20-Nov-10 21:40:22

Didn't mean to submit then

I was very anxious and it was all ok

If it wasn't the good news is that it is very treatable

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 20-Nov-10 21:41:04

Message withdrawn

highhopes2010 Sun 21-Nov-10 20:25:58

Thanks Vic and Shine.she is booked for a scan and i will keep you posted.so happy for your mum Shine.

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 21-Nov-10 22:37:14

Message withdrawn

highhopes2010 Sun 28-Nov-10 20:14:38

hi all,dm had scan,camera and biopsy done in the same apptmt.just waiting for results.fingers crossed.forgot to mention before the bleeding she had all the symtoms for a period-stomach/back ache and sore boobs.said she felt like she was going to have a period then did?

kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 14-Dec-10 12:30:06

Any more news?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: