Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What can I take for constipation while breastfeeding?

(10 Posts)
lurcherlover Wed 17-Nov-10 19:31:25

Constipation isn't something I've ever had before - I eat loads of fruit and veg. But for the last few days I've been in agony (DS is 3 weeks old). I suspect the problem is I haven't been drinking enough fluids so I'm now making myself down a large glass of water with every feed. I'm eating as much fruit and veg as I can stomach and drinking prune juice, but none of it is working. Doesn't help that I've also got horrible post-birth piles sad I need something to, erm, soften things a bit as when I do manage to go it is agony - like giving birth again! I had a look in tesco today and all the constipation stuff said don't take while breastfeeding. Any suggestions for anything that's safe to use?

CoteDAzur Wed 17-Nov-10 19:33:00

Couple of dried apricots followed by a cold glass of water. Make sure you are near a toilet before you do this.

nickypomtimes Wed 17-Nov-10 19:35:15

here

Ktay Wed 17-Nov-10 19:36:38

I'm pretty sure you can take Lactulose if you're after something medical

nightcat Wed 17-Nov-10 19:39:01

Get a bag of flaxseeds from H&B, some supermarkets do them too, and sprinkle a few seeds over foods (literally a few, say 5-10 per meal), they have soluble fibre and omega fats which are brill also for baby's brain development and often deficient in diet. Don't buy oil, it's not nice to take and goes off really quickly.
Don't buy them ground either - buy them whole, even if you don't chew through them they will still do the job.
And keep the liquid intake up as you do.

BrigitBigKnickers Wed 17-Nov-10 19:40:10

Fibogel hi fibre orange sachets. I used them for a while when I was pregnant and the later breast feeding.Got them on prescription but you can buy them in the chemist over the counter.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 17-Nov-10 19:42:13

All bran and lots of fluid. A hot drink can be helpful to get things going.

lurcherlover Wed 17-Nov-10 19:49:48

Thanks everyone - will send DH out for flaxseeds and dried apricots and take it from there!

franfoxy2003 Wed 17-Nov-10 21:08:19

hi i had lactulose when i was bfing my doc gave it to me..i also find mango juice helps!

Meglet Wed 17-Nov-10 21:10:15

If it gets bad you can get your GP to prescribe Movicol (stool softener). It says not to take while bf but I told them I wouldn't bf unless I could have it, the GP was perfectly happy to let me have some, unlike the midwives hmm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now