Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Ferritin of 22 but HB is 13.0.

(6 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Wed 17-Nov-10 13:18:45

Had a blood test last week and as I work at the hospital looked my results up myself and saw this. So my ferritin is low but HB is OK.

I get really heavy periods and GP suspects a fibroid so its probably due to that. I'm getting a gynae referral.

Though I don't eat a lot of red meat and I also donate blood which probably won't help. So I'm stopping blood donation until I get my periods sorted and am prepared to up my meat intake.

I got a phone call from the GP receptionist yesterday "your iron tablets are ready for collection". hmm "The Dc says your iron is low he's prescribed you iron". I'm glad to see that communication is good at my GPs surgery.

Anyway would I be daft to not take any iron. I feel fine. Or is it that I could be knackered and not realise it as its been a gradual decline?

VivaLeBeaver Wed 17-Nov-10 13:25:58

I've just read that irritability is a symptom of low ferritin. Maybe I better take some iron. grin

sincitylover Wed 17-Nov-10 14:30:56

I would take iron - my ferritin once went down to 6 for same reasons though my hb was just ok.

Presumably once your ferritin runs out it will start to reduce your HB if you know what I mean ie your stores will become completely depleted

Also I was told that iron would help with the heavy periods and reduce flow.

sincitylover Wed 17-Nov-10 14:31:06

And they did seem to

VivaLeBeaver Wed 17-Nov-10 17:25:58

Thanks, will maybe give the iron a try.

Sidge Wed 17-Nov-10 17:35:37

You need the iron - ferritin is reflective of the iron stores, so may be low whilst the Hb is normal because you are circulating adequate levels but have none in reserve.

Sometimes you can get low ferritin BEFORE the Hb drops, so your GP is being pre-emptive by giving you iron (ferrous sulphate or ferrous fumarate) before your overall Hb drops.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: