Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just found out my friend has breast cancer. She had mammogram a year ago.

(10 Posts)
Curiousmama Wed 17-Nov-10 10:18:53

My friend had a mammogram a year ago and was told she had a cyst. Her sister has battled breast cancer so she's extra vigilant.
Now the 'cyst' has grown, she's had another scan and it's a huge cancerous tumour sad They've said she has to have chemo before they operate. Another friend said this seems odd as it's usually radiotherapy?

I'm so gutted sad

reallywoundup Wed 17-Nov-10 10:22:50

sorry to hear this sad,

chemo first is often done tbh, depending on the size and location the tumor will be shrunk and then removed, lots of factors make a difference as to what treatment is given there isn't a one-size-fits-all solution.

if you have any questions there are some ladies who are going through or have been through it on the tamoxifen thread.

Curiousmama Wed 17-Nov-10 10:25:42

Thanks for your quick response.

She has to have a full body scan not sure when though?

It's just a waiting game right now.

reallywoundup Wed 17-Nov-10 10:36:38

its the waiting that's the hard thing, scans, blood tests etc etc but they have to be sure what they are dealing with before they start treatment. Once there is a treatment plan it tends to become a bit easier to deal with (if that makes any sense at all)

Curiousmama Wed 17-Nov-10 10:55:06

Yes that's true. They said they're looking closely at her other scans to see if they missed it. If so she has the right to sue but she can't think about that right now.

Cakesandale Wed 17-Nov-10 14:04:44

Sorry to hear about this curiousmama. The scan will be to see if there is evidence of spread: if there is the chemo will also help with mopping that up.

s RWU said - the waiting and not knowing is often the hardest bit. Come and talk to us on the Tamoxifenthesixth thread if you have specific questions. Several of us have been through treatment, some are just finishing, and others are at an earlier stage (or still only at the suspicious stage), but we may be able to help a bit, between us...

Curiousmama Wed 17-Nov-10 14:12:27

Thanks for that Cakes. Sorry you're all going/been through this too. sad

KurriKurri Wed 17-Nov-10 14:25:16

Just adding to my Tamoxifen friends' posts Curiousmama. I'm so sorry to hear your friend is going through this rotten thing. As everyone has said, if you want to chat, or have any questions, or want something explained that we might be able to help with, do pop over.

As RWU says waiting for test results is one of the hardest parts. Once your friend knows where she stands, she will be able to start getting her head round it all a bit better. I wish her the very best. smile

MaryAnnSingleton Wed 17-Nov-10 15:39:41

here's the link to the tamoxifen thread - you are very welcome to join in- here
Very sorry to hear about your friend-an awful sho ck for you

Curiousmama Thu 18-Nov-10 09:38:31

thanks so much smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now