Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Any idea which foods trigger asthma?

(23 Posts)
yellowflowers Wed 17-Nov-10 09:47:58

My asthma is being triggered by more and more foods whilst pregnant but I can't work out which ones - anyone got any ideas what they could be?

slipperthief Wed 17-Nov-10 22:44:51

My mum & three aunties have varying intolerances to wheat, soya & dairy that have brought on their asthma & arthritis. All found out what they can / can't take by doing an elimination diet - starting with something v simple (poached fish & boiled potatoes i think) then addding one thing at a time and seeing what happens. Prob worth a chat with the midwife if you're going to try that. Don't know if being pg makes you more sensitive to foods?

anonymosity Thu 18-Nov-10 01:03:47

Red Wine. Big no no for anyone with asthma.

ppeatfruit Thu 18-Nov-10 10:38:18

my DH finds that milk and yoghurt are the worst culprits for his asthma He's ok with red wine!! white is not good though! Gives him cramp.

ppeatfruit Thu 18-Nov-10 10:45:18

Yellowflowers have you studied Buteyko? he has simple things to do such as breathing through yr nose ALL the time instead of gasping for breath which has really kept DH's asthma under control.

Itsjustafleshwound Thu 18-Nov-10 10:48:41

Check the additives and colourants ...(sulphates??)

yellowflowers Thu 18-Nov-10 16:05:52

Thanks. Last culprit was a chicken burger - probably lots of additives in that. Red wine is a no go for me too and currents and dried fruit. But recently I am starting to suspect bananas - is that possible?

ThingOne Thu 18-Nov-10 16:28:22

I'm not sure it's safe to do an elimination diet while pregnant. I don't know, but it's worth checking.

I have bad wheat and dairy intolerances which spark off asthma. I don't drink red wine but that's because I don't like tannin - I have my tea super weak too! I don't know if it's related to my asthma as I drink it only in very rare social situations where refusal is simply too much effort.

Sulphites are a common trigger. You'll quite often see food labelled with this because of it. They are used as preservatives. Orange dried apricots are preserved with sulphites. The brown ones are not (they are much tastier and much more expensive). It could be that they are used to preserve the other dried fruit you have been eating?

Do you read labels carefully?

It can't hurt to follow a simple clear diet for a while, with lots of fresh veg and nothing processed.

elastamum Thu 18-Nov-10 16:31:41

Is it asthma or do you also have reflux which is making you cough??

They can be very similar. For me it was coffee, chocolate (sob), very spicy curries and red wine. but my problem is asthma being triggered by reflux

POFAKKEDDthechair Thu 18-Nov-10 16:33:53

Elimation diet certainly safe to do whilst pregnant [safer than eating foods which trigger your asthma] as long as you include foods from all the food groups in the food you eat - protein, carbs, fruit and veg, calcium. If you cut out dairy be careful to get enough calcium, or take supplements.

Sulphites/sulphates are a trigger for me. Milk can be if I have a chest infection. I seem to have a problem with pineapple and pineapple juice.

I don't know about bananas. There is this about banana allergy, which is apparently quite rare.
here

yellowflowers Thu 18-Nov-10 17:56:12

I have been eating bananas all my life - was one of my first words apparently, so would be very surprised if it was.

Think it is asthma not reflux and doctor has ruled out chest infection.

Will try eliminating things though - always so hard especially when people cooking for me so much in attempt to help me put my feet up!

POFAKKEDDthechair Thu 18-Nov-10 18:35:23

I will say getting a good air purifier has helped my asthma no end. Off inhalers now, and even have chest infection, which usually means I am on double doses.

yellowflowers Thu 18-Nov-10 19:19:17

what is an air purifier and where do you have it - in the bedroom?

yellowflowers Thu 18-Nov-10 21:41:15

Actually I had a drink of yoghurt (that new activia strawberry pouring yoghurt) this evening and half an hour later symptoms started so maybe it's that. I've been having some most days or past week and a half and I think my symptoms have been bad for that time. Once I've coughed so much I'm sick I'm usually better again.

Is yoghurt likely? Or maybe it has a colouring in it as it's pink and I've suspected red food colouring in the past (cherry drops make me cough and my throat closed significantly when inhad a sweet and sour a while ago).

PaulineFouler Thu 18-Nov-10 21:43:45

My dd gets a bit wheezy if she drinks lemon or orange squash confused.

POFAKKEDDthechair Thu 18-Nov-10 23:00:07

I actually have one in the bedroom and one in the sitting room - I recently got the second one and it has made an even bigger difference. Sharp are doing a free trial on MN at moment - maybe email Annmumsnet and see if you can get on it? Otherwise they have good ones here

yellowflowers Fri 19-Nov-10 09:45:24

i'll check that out POFAKKEDDthechair.

Just looked at the ingredient list on that yoghurt - loads of additives. hmmmm - could be that I guess given I'm usually fine with yoghurt.

ppeatfruit Fri 19-Nov-10 09:58:08

yellow flowers ..Sometimes you become intolerant to a food you've eaten all yr life I don't eat bananas 'cos they give me reflux!!

yellowflowers Fri 19-Nov-10 10:56:25

that's interesting. Annoying though isn't it.
I hope not all yoghurts - it's my main source of calcium because I don't like cheese or drink milk by itself.

HowsTheSerenity Fri 19-Nov-10 10:59:13

I have noticed recently that certain red wines set me off. Never happened before.

ThingOne Fri 19-Nov-10 14:34:35

yellowflowers - calcium is in lots of other foods as vegans can do fine. If you have a search you'll find a good list. I don't have mine to hand atm but it's stuff like green leafy veg, parsely, humous (from tahini) and wholegrains. Sardines with bones in also have lots of calcium.

Notquitegrownup Fri 19-Nov-10 14:36:17

Soft fruits (strawberries particularly) used to affect my ds

ppeatfruit Sat 20-Nov-10 14:32:37

Thingone is quite right about calcium, think how strong gorillas are who only eat fruit, leaves and a few insects!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: