Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Ok to take antihistamine for a prolonged period?

(4 Posts)
superdeeduper Tue 16-Nov-10 10:55:38

Would it be ok to take antihistamine continually over the winter months?

I am an asthmatic and seem to be more troubled during winter months due to, I think central heating/being indoors more. Over the weekend, I seemed to have an allergic episode but did not take antihistamine quickly enough with the result that I could not seem to get on top of my asthma. My chest was very sore the next day and was still wheezy despite taking my steroid inhaler and reliever.

I wondered if it would be a good idea to take antihistamine over the winter to avoid this and if this is ok to do. Its frustrating as I was able to significantly reduce my inhalers over the summer months (with the advice of my GP) however I am now back to full strength again. Even then, I can still feel a bit wheezy.

Any advice?

PixieOnaLeaf Tue 16-Nov-10 12:50:43

Message withdrawn

notapizzaeater Tue 16-Nov-10 12:52:07

DH also takes a zirtek type tablet every day .... and hes fine hmm

Seona1973 Tue 16-Nov-10 12:54:19

my dh takes anti-histamines all year round too

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: