Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

High blood pressure

(11 Posts)
Saltire Tue 16-Nov-10 10:10:42

I have had consistently high BP since January. Got taken off depo injection and put onto tablets.
So far ahve tried 3 different kinds , either on their own or in combinations, and it's still high. Last reading was 164/112.

I am back at doc tonight for an assesment of currnet meds, BP reading etc.
However, she did mention that
A) I might have to give beta blockers a try
B) might have to go on strict diet and exercise regime
C) Might have to come off the pill

Now A I think I can cope with.
B- well I am slightly overweight, but I walk 6 miles to and from school a day, plus a 2 mile walk every afternoon,and my diet on the whole is healthy, not a lot of veg, ad not keen but lots of fruit and healthy meals.
c- I went on depo originally for fibroids which were causing immense pain and bleeding.
I cannot go back to that again, it was so abd I couldn't leave the house.

Does anyone have any experiences of HBP,and any of the things i mentioned?

araliya Tue 16-Nov-10 12:18:16

I have HBP and I have been given Ramipril to control it. I don't do any exercise and I wish I could be as good as you! Diet same as yours and overweight for my frame/height. Again, am making changes to diet and have to start exercising at some point. Celery is good for it. Stress bad for it. Maybe something like yoga would help. Little bit scary as I am way too young to be having it I feel. My parent have got it but they are 70's! Try to stay away from usual stuff like white bread, white pasta and rice. Fruit and veg being the mantra of the day...Me too...I hate being here!

lunafire Tue 16-Nov-10 12:39:41

DH was diagnosed with HBP earlier this year after suffering with a permanent headache for a month (which we later found out was due to high inter-cranial pressure and a side effect of the HPB). He was put on ramipril and that seems to have done the trick and his BP is normalish (assuming he remembers to take his pills and renew his prescription hmm...but he also started eating a primal/paleo diet (avoiding all grains, sugar, processed stuff etc) around the same time so we're not sure if that helped or not....it certainly cured the headaches and he got a congrats from the optical surgeon for curing himself LOL.

My mother has HBP as well and I remember it took a long time to find a combination of drugs that worked for her. Eventually ramipril worked...but then after a few years gave her a cough so she switched to something else.

Saltire Wed 17-Nov-10 18:58:13

Well it was 164/112 yesterday!shock. I got my Valsartan increased to 1 x 80mg tablet twice a day and also got
Amlodipine tot ake.

Saltire Wed 17-Nov-10 18:58:57

sorry pressed post too early. So it's not come down at all since I was last there. I feel very dizzy and lightheaded, and wondered if it's the increased med!

Elibean Wed 17-Nov-10 19:16:28

Probably the increased med. Should ease off after a bit, as your body gets used to it (or so I was told).

I had high BP after dds were born, went on meds for a few weeks, then off again. More recently, my BP was borderline high (140-155/80-90) and as I was worried about it, and under a lot of stress, my GP put me on a low dose of Ramipril - its come down to normal levels with no side effects so far.

Thing is, I am not overweight, don't eat much salt, was doing a fair bit of walking (not the last few weeks, but I've had shingle) so I can only blame stress and genetics. I do relate to the worry about being young - though I expect you're younger than me (I'm 50) - my Dad is on betablockers but he's 84! I expected to need something in my 70s or maybe 60s but not yet....

It sounds as though, if the increased meds don't help, betablockers would be worth trying first - along with exercise/diet - because the pain and bleeding from the fibroids sounds too much. Is there any other (acceptable) way of dealing with the fibroids?

mattellie Thu 18-Nov-10 16:57:35

Just FYI, ramipril isn’t a beta blocker, it’s an ACE inhibitor. This is a separate group of drugs commonly prescribed for HBP.

Valsartan is an ARB (yet another group confused ), and yes increasing the dose can lead to headaches and dizziness.

Ashfordgirl66 Thu 18-Nov-10 19:20:37

I had extremely high blood pressure which is now being successfully controlled with amlodipine. A couple of things to try are the DASH diet, which has been shown to lower blood pressure. It is very high in fruit,veg and whole grains. Here is the link: dashdiet.org/

Also, beetroot juice has been proven to lower blood pressure - if you can stand the taste! So far it has only been tested on people with normal blood pressure, but one glass a day had long lasting effects. Here is the link www.bbc.co.uk/news/10433877

Saltire Thu 18-Nov-10 20:28:12

Well got an double dose of current meds and also amlodipine together! reading was 168/123shock

higgle Fri 19-Nov-10 10:18:11

Probably not the answer for any of you posting here who seem to have very high blood pressure and need medication but mine was 150/90 and causing some concern earlier this year. I lost 3 stone and took up running and it is now 130/80 so it does work for some. DH and I have always had a thing about salt and do not use it in cooking or on the table.

Elibean Fri 19-Nov-10 11:53:29

higgle, my bp was pretty much same as yours - though top number sometimes higher, bottom number usually lower. I have no weight to lose, and don't eat salt...but maybe I could try the exercise and the try dropping meds. Will talk to GP.

Saltire, I'm glad you got your meds altered - not good to keep trucking with bp like that! Hope it comes down easily and without side effects. Are you still thinking of trying a different diet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now