Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can you take an oral tablet for thrush whilst breastfeeding?

(4 Posts)
zen1 Sun 14-Nov-10 14:22:39

I'm desperate. Thrush is driving me mad after a course of antibiotics and canesten cream is not having much effect. The pharmacist has told me I can't take the oral one-off dose whilst breastfeeding, but my DS is nearly 2 now and I only feed him a couple of times a day so surely it wouldn't have the same side effects (on him) as if he were a newborn.

Just wondered if anyone had taken this pill whilst breastfeeding? Thanks

ovumahead Sun 14-Nov-10 15:47:18

yes you can - the pharmacist is wrong, go and get one! They give much higher doses to fully breastfeeding women who have nipple thrush - but the pharmacist just probably isn't aware of that. I had a similar problem and spoke to someone on a breastfeeding helpline and they told me this.

zen1 Sun 14-Nov-10 16:34:36

Great ovumahead, thanks. Just brought some probiotic yogurt in anticipation of being told not to take the medication - but now I will go and sacrifice the £12 first thing tomorrow!

ovumahead Mon 15-Nov-10 12:53:28

£12?! You need to get a non-branded (e.g. NOT canesten) tablet - it's the same and at least half the price, or less!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now