Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Emergency doctors appointment or not?

(13 Posts)
spacecadet1 Sun 14-Nov-10 09:21:29

Hi, hoping someone can help me. I'm showing all the symptoms of having an overactive thyroid & have been feeling rotten (more than usual) since last week & losing weight even though I'm still eating.

I obviously need to get to the docs for a chat & a blood test & was just wondering (knowing how long it usually takes to get a normal appointment) should I call up tomorrow & get a same day appointment. I've never used up an 'emergency' appointment for myself before but am starting to get quite panicky & don't think I can wait a couple of weeks to get a regular appointment & then wait for bloods on top of that.

So basically what I'm asking is do you think it's ok to get an appointment asap & try to get this sorted or will the doc frown on me for this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

onimolap Sun 14-Nov-10 09:27:09

Not familiar with this condition - what makes it urgent?

If it must be seen in 24 hours (one of the definitions of "urgent"), then surely you should be heading for A&E today.

Hassled Sun 14-Nov-10 09:29:44

I think if the alternative to "urgent" is a two week wait, and you're already feeling panicky and unwell, then you'd be fair enough to ring for a same day appointment. I'm a bit gobsmacked at the 2 week wait, tbh - sounds like a poorly managed/completely overstretched surgery.

ANTagony Sun 14-Nov-10 09:31:14

My GP's surgery have a website with their code of practice on. They aim to make non emergency appointments within 24 hours and see all patients within 48hrs.

If you're getting very stressed could you call NHS direct and talk to a medical professional. They can be very reassuring and talk you through the realities of the testing procedure in your area.

spacecadet1 Sun 14-Nov-10 09:32:04

didn't say it was urgent but would like to be seen by a doc (not a&e) asap & booking an ordinary appointment with the doctor could mean i dont get seen for another couple of weeks (takes that long to get a normal appointment at our docs), so wondered if i should just phone up tomorrow & try to get an appointment (think they're classed as emergency but taken kids when they've woken up ill)

LIZS Sun 14-Nov-10 09:36:09

I think a sudden unexplained loss of weight should be investigated asap, more so than gradual symptoms if part of a general ongoing malaise. Ring up and explain you are worried about the sudden onset of symptoms and see what they can offer - maybe a cancellation will come up if they do not deem it of "same day" urgency. Then perhaps a nurse could fit you in for a blood test and reassurance in the meantime.

spacecadet1 Sun 14-Nov-10 09:36:56

thanks hassled & ant, yes possibly craply managed & glad you think i should try to get same day appointment. whenever i've tried to get a normal appointment it's usually been well into the week after or two weeks after. might give nhs direct a ring too.

will give them a ring tomorrow & see what the receptionists recommend (although they aren't too helful either hmm

Omarama Sun 14-Nov-10 09:48:40

Sorry haven't read all replies but yes totally justifies urgent same day appt. If you are hyperthyroid you run risk of abnormal heart rhythms among other things.

Some people use same day appts for colds repeat prescriptions and sick certificates. This is much more appropriate.

Omarama Sun 14-Nov-10 09:49:47

Don't be put off by receptionists!

spacecadet1 Sun 14-Nov-10 09:52:25

thanks omarama - are you hyperthyroid?

Omarama Sun 14-Nov-10 09:53:17

No, a medic

spacecadet1 Sun 14-Nov-10 09:59:33

oh never though of you being a medic - doh! think i've got most of the symptoms of hyperthyroid (including i think vitiligo but never been checked for this - didnt realise the 2 could be linked til i read up on friday & hence the reason i want to get checked asap cos they way i've been feeling & reading the links between the 2 it feels like i've found the missing piece of the jigsaw!)

good grief, does that make any sense?

goingroundthebend4 Sun 14-Nov-10 10:05:43

I would say same day if only set your mind at ease

and yes 2-3 weeks wait is normal here for non urgen appoinments and you struggle get same day involves first getting through receptionist who may then agree to put you on dr call list .Some point that day dr will call discuss on phone and if he thinks you need to be seen ge will tell you to come up at set time or to cone pick up prescrption from the desk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now